Tablet Local

Dallas man sentenced to 45 years in carjacking, sexual assault of vet

A Dallas man has been sentenced to 45 years in prison for carjacking two military veterans in Arlington and then sexually assaulting one in May 2012.

Ousmane Wangare, 27, was sentenced on Wednesday by state district Judge Wayne Salvant in Fort Worth. A Tarrant County jury had convicted Wangare of aggravated sexual assault in December and he elected to have his punishment assessed by Salvant.

Wangare must serve half his sentence before he is eligible for parole and must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

“Both victims in this case served their country honorably and nearly lost their lives in the commission of a violent crime by a cold-hearted criminal,” said prosecutor Amy Collum.

Prosecutors had asked for the maximum sentence. They said the victims were alive not because Wangare chose to spare them, but because of the heroic actions of the female victim.

“She believed she was going to die that night,” Collum said. “The defendant pointed a gun at her and fired, but by the grace of God, it didn’t go off and she escaped.”

Collum described Wangare as “the scariest type of criminal” because he is a liar, an opportunist, a rapist and a would-be capital murderer.

The crime unfolded in May 2012 when a U.S. Air Force airman stationed in Shreveport, La., came to Arlington to visit a woman identified by the pseudonym Melissa Brown, a retired Navy veteran.

The couple were at a car wash in the 3400 block of Collins Street in Arlington when they were ambushed by three men.

The men forced the couple into Brown’s PT Cruiser and demanded money, threatening to kill them if they didn’t comply. The men made them drive to Brown’s home where they forced Brown into her friend’s Hyundai Sonata, which was parked there.

Wangare drove the Sonata with Brown while Brown’s friend and the two other men remained in the PT Cruiser following on Interstate 20 east toward Dallas, authorities said.

At some point, Wangare forced Brown to perform a sex act on him, authorities said.

Minutes later, and fearing for her life, Brown reached for Wangare’s gun, a struggle ensued and Wangare crashed into a house in the 6400 block of Concerto Lane in Dallas, prosecutors said. Brown and Wangare continued to fight, and at one point the Dallas man pointed the gun at Brown and fired, but the gun malfunctioned. The stuggle continued and the gun discharged, wounding Wangare in the leg and chest.

Brown escaped to a nearby house where residents called police. Wangare fled, but was arrested a few hours later after he was seen walking out of a creek, prosecutors said.

Brown’s friend escaped a few minutes later when the suspects crashed the PT Cruiser and abandoned it at a Dallas car wash.

Brown and her friend were punched in the head and face several times during the carjacking, according to testimony.

Authorities also arrested Kenny Mitchell and accused him of being involved in the carjacking. His trial is pending. The third suspect remains at large.