Tablet Local

Fatal Arlington fire started by candle near mattress, firefighters report

A man believed to be in his 50s died Friday morning after fire broke out in his Arlington apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

The man’s name was not released Friday evening because authorities had not notified his family, said fire Lt. Lee Tovar.

The blaze was reported at 9:19 a.m. at a complex in the 600 block of Elm Street, Tovar said.

“A neighbor called 911 for smoke coming from the next-door apartment,” Tovar said. “Firefighters forced entry and found the male victim near the front door unconscious.”

The man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Tovar said.

The fire “was started by a candle burning near the bed,” Tovar said. “There was no suspicious activity. The fire was contained to the mattress.”

There was heavy smoke in the apartment, and the man had been burned on his back, neck and face, Tovar said.

There were no working smoke detectors in the apartment, he said.