A 7-year-old girl was taken to a hospital Saturday with severe burns after an explosion inside a home on Harwood Road.
Firefighters and police responding to the 4 p.m. explosion that rocked a Christmas gathering and blew out windows in the front of the home in the 7900 block of Harwood in North Richland Hills evacuated neighbors from the houses on either side.
Homeowner Marvin Reinoshek said his niece went to the bathroom and turned on the light and then the room exploded.
Reinoshek said he had smelled something “kind of funky” coming from the bathroom for days but wasn’t quite sure what it was. Now Reinoshek believes it may have been a gas leak.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“My niece went to Dallas Children’s Hospital, and she’s burned pretty badly,” Reinoshek said while standing outside the house Saturday.
Windows were blown out of the house, and some of the walls in the house were damaged, according to Kirk Marcum, assistant fire chief.
“I was sitting in my bedroom and I was blown back,” Reinoshek said. “I just grabbed my niece and the kids and got out of there.”
About 7 p.m., a utility crew began digging up the gas line going to Reinoshek’s home and firefighters would not allow residents back into their houses until they were certain there was no danger of further explosions.
Firefighters and Atmos crews were still working on capping the gas leak at 8 p.m.
Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752