How well do you know your Thanksgiving history, facts and lore? Read each question aloud; have everyone take their best guess and see how they scored at the end.
1. The Pilgrims sailed across what body of water to reach North America?
a. Black Sea
b. Atlantic Ocean
c. Mississippi River
d. Pacific Ocean
2. What is the average weight of a Thanksgiving turkey?
a. 25 pounds
b. 12 pounds
c. 20 pounds
d. 15 pounds
3. What historical figure wanted the turkey to become the national bird of the United States?
a. Benjamin Franklin
b. Jimmy Carter
c. Dick Cheney
b. Abraham Lincoln
4. Which state consumes the most turkeys on Thanksgiving?
c. New York
5. What department store was the first to host a Thanksgiving parade?
d. Montgomery Ward
Eat and run
Not to spoil your dinner, but see who can get closest to guessing the correct calorie count of these Thanksgiving favorites — and how much post-meal activity each requires to burn off (for an average-size adult). Then, use the correct answers to plan your family activities later today. No couch potatoes allowed!
1. A 6-ounce serving of turkey contains _______________ calories. To burn it off, you’ll have to walk _______________ minutes.
2. A 1/2-cup helping of mashed potatoes contains _______________ calories. To burn it off, you should throw the football around for _______________ minutes.
3. A dinner roll has _______________ calories. Lace up those sneakers and go for a jog. You’ll need _______________ minutes to burn it off.
4. One typical slice of pecan pie packs _______________ calories. Jump on a bike and ride for _______________ minutes to burn these calories.
Get to know the ones you love a little better with the help of these conversation starters.
1. Who is the oldest person in our family? And what is the oldest age that someone in the family has lived?
2. Who in the family has traveled the farthest around the world? Where was it, when and why?
3. What are the stories behind the recipes for the food we are eating today?
4. Are most people at the table right-handed or left-handed? What color of hair and eyes does everyone have? Were they born in even- or odd-numbered years — see any patterns?
5. What was the name of each person’s favorite pet when they were kids?
6. What has been each person’s most memorable Thanksgiving?
7. What is each person most thankful for today?