• Join an Irrigation 101 workshop, 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at the River Legacy Living Science Center. RSVP to 817-860-6752. 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington.www.riverlegacy.org
• Take a “Summer in the Shade” hike on the Forked Tail Creek trail, 1:30-3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Expect to see wildlife, including owls hooting during the day. At 12:30, 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. Sunday, learn about “Tracks and Scat” during a family-friendly exploration that includes a short hike. Both events are free with paid admission ($2-$5). 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410;www.fwnaturecenter.org
• Join the Fort Worth Organic Garden Club for a program on aquaponics at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Camellia Room of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center. The speaker will be David Cohan of Green Phoenix Farms. The center is at 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. For more information, contact Esther Chambliss at817-263-9322
• Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Call 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Johnson County Master Gardeners answer gardening questions and give horticultural advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Simply call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
• For Texas A&M AgriLife Extension’s Earth-Kind modular horticulture and Master Gardener classes held on occasional Saturdays through December in various locations in North Texas. Registration is recommended. For info, call 817-884-1944 and ask for Steve Chaney, or visithttp://tarrantmg.org
for the schedule of classes.
• For free, informal tours at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden by members of the Perennial Garden Master Gardener Project and the Trial Garden Master Gardener Project. The perennial garden tour is the second Wednesday of the month, at 10 a.m., and a guided tour of the trial garden is on the second Thursday of each month. Both are weather permitting. Look for signs at each garden and wait for the tour guide. To check availability, call the botanic garden’s main desk at 817-871-7686.