The arrival of sweater weather also means soup time, and nothing warms the bones against a winter chill as well as a hearty bowl of bisque or broth. Personal chef Claudia Sheddy, owner of Fort Worth-based My Sweet Roots, makes a comforting, chunky chicken soup that pleases palates in more ways than one. Using all-natural, local and organic ingredients in all of her heart-healthy dishes, she says this lime-infused recipe can be ready in no time, easily feeds a crowd (especially when doubled) and is a perfect warmer-upper for fall family gatherings.
Working out of her family's longtime restaurant kitchen during off hours, Sheddy, a busy wife and mother herself, creates everything from breakfast bowls to Mason jar meals — all available by delivery or pick-up and geared toward on-the-go individuals who want to eat healthy but don't have time to cook. (Sheddy delivers to Keller, Grapevine and Southlake with a $100 order. Most meals range from $6.50 to $10.99.)
Celestina Blok is a freelance writer and graduate of the Culinary School of Fort Worth.
Lime Chicken Chili Soup
- 4 organic or all-natural chicken breasts (preferably locally sourced)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small bundle of celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 liters organic, sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup hominy
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, juice removed
- 2 limes
- Avocado slices, for garnish
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken breasts with salt and roast until cooked through. Remove, let cool, and then shred into pieces.
2. Heat grapeseed oil in a stock pot and sauté carrots, celery, onion, garlic and pepper until vegetables are translucent. Add broth, shredded chicken, corn, hominy and tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Squeeze the juice from the limes into the soup and season with salt, as needed. Garnish with avocado slices and cilantro.
— 682-227-5333, www.mysweetroots.com
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.