▪ Saturday is Veterans Appreciation Day at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Military veterans and their families will get free admission, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The event is sponsored by Lockheed Martin.
At 1 p.m. Saturday, join “Naturaleza en espanol,” a program with a bilingual naturalist. Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m., take a fall colors hike on the Deer Mouse Trail. Both programs are free with paid admission ($2-$5). Also, register for an evening stroll with a naturalist, 5-6:30 p.m. Thursday. It’s $10 and includes admission to the refuge. At 10:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 20, the Preschool Discovery Club will study fish. It’s $10 per child/caregiver. The refuge is at 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Take the family on a free naturalist-led hike, 2 p.m. Saturday, at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. RSVP to 817-860-6752; space is limited. At 10 a.m. Thursday, join a Nature Adventurers class for a study of bats. It’s for children 2 1/2 to 5 years old and a caregiver. Cost is $15 per child/caregiver, $5 for an additional child. Next class: Dec. 10. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ The Conservatory of the Deborah Beggs Moncrief Center at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden will be closed for updates and repairs for November. fwbg.org.
▪ Meet Neil Sperry, the Star-Telegram’s Garden Guru, 4-6 p.m. Thursday at Calloway’s, 291 E. Southlake Blvd., Southlake. www.calloways.com.
▪ You and your child can join a “Junior Explorer Class,” 10:30-11:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 20, at the Bob Jones Nature Center, 355 E. Bob Jones Road, Southlake. It’s $5, free for Explore With Me club members. 817-491-6333; www.bjnc.org.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For a canoe tour of the West Fork of the Trinity River, $20 ($15 members) 8:30 a.m. Nov. 21 at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Canoes, paddles and life jackets are provided. Limited to 12 participants. To register, call 817-392-7410. www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ For a winter birding workshop led by Maria Panagopoulos of Birds Unlimited and Neita El-Arab of the Fort Worth Audubon Society. It will be 8:30 a.m. Nov. 21 at River Legacy Parks. For age 15 and older. Participants will craft bird feeders from recyclable material. It’s $5 per person. Register at 817-860-6752, ext. 102 or 104.
▪ For the Teddy Bear Tea Party, 1 p.m. Nov. 24, at the Backyard Vegetable Garden of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3312 Rock Springs Road. Kids bring teddy bears; juice and cookies will be provided. For more information, call 817-392-5510 or visit http://fwbg.org.
Send announcements of local home and garden happenings (including retail news) at least two weeks in advance to Places to Go, Features Department, Star-Telegram, Box 1870, Fort Worth, TX 76101, or send an email to email@example.com with “Places to Go” in the subject line.