▪ BRIT’s First Saturday program, including a farmers market, will be 8 a.m.-noon Saturday at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas, 1700 University Drive, Fort Worth. 817-332-4441; www.brit.org.
▪ The Colleyville Garden Club’s spring plant sale will be 9 a.m.-2 p.m Saturday at the Historic Webb House, 408 Shelton Drive, Colleyville. www.colleyvillegardenclub.com.
▪ Learn about native plants that will work with instead of against our hot summers during a free clinic at 10:15 a.m. Saturday at all area Calloway’s stores. www.calloways.com.
▪ The North Central Texas Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas will have its spring plant sale 10 a.m.-noon Saturday at Redenta’s Garden, 5111 W. Arkansas Lane, Arlington. 817-451-2149; www.redentas.com.
▪ Don James, senior geologist with Freese and Nichols, will talk about North Texas geological phenomena in “A Local Geology — A Snapshot in Time,” at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Take a short hike and learn about spring and summer wildflowers. Both activities are free with admission ($2-$5). James’ talk Saturday is approved for Master Naturalist advanced training hours. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Take part in the live animal exploration, 2 p.m. Saturday at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. RSVP to 817-860-6752. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ Azle’s biennial Green Scene Garden Tour will be noon-4:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $15; for ticket sale locations or information about sack lunches or the “pop-up shop,” call the Azle Chamber of Commerce, 817-444-1112, or visit www.azlechamber.com.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For the Fort Worth Cactus and Succulent Society’s 32nd annual spring show and sale May 8-10 in the Macy’s court at Ridgmar Mall in Fort Worth.
▪ For the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge’s Buffalo Boogie Fun Run, May 9. To register, visit www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ For the 33rd annual Fairmount Historic Tour of Homes, May 9 and 10. Advance tickets are $15 at Butler’s Antiques, Old Home Supply, Montgomery Street Antique Mall, Old Neighborhood Grill or online at www.historicfairmount.com.
▪ For the fifth annual Wise Chicks Coop Tour, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 9, in Decatur. The tour begins at a 9 a.m. “Backyard Chickens 101” seminar at the Wise County Fairgrounds; maps for the self-guided coop tour will be available there. For more information, call 940-627-3341 or visit wise.agrilife.org.
▪ For the Fort Worth Bonsai Society’s annual auction and raffle, 10 a.m. May 9 in the conservatory of the Forth Worth Botanic Gardens. Bonsai trees, pots, tools, books, magazines and starter plants will be available.
Send announcements of local home and garden happenings (including retail news) at least two weeks in advance to Places to Go, Features Department, Star-Telegram, Box 1870, Fort Worth, TX 76101, or send an email to email@example.com with “Places to Go” in the subject line.