School’s start may be on the horizon, but we still have plenty of long, hot days of August ahead.
Cool off by the pool with two drinks that are made for sipping with your toes in the water — a blackberry mojito from 44Bootlegger on the Near Southside and a maple-peach margarita from the Omni Fort Worth Hotel.
When Tommy and Tammy Brown opened their hip retail shop 44Bootlegger on West Magnolia Avenue last fall, many visitors entered under the impression that it was a bar. The husband-and-wife duo ultimately decided to revamp their concept into just that: a comfy beer and wine bar and lounge featuring an evolving list of 44 wines and 44 beers, with several sold by the glass and on tap.
The venue has been popular for on-site picnics from nearby restaurants like Nonna Tata and Benito’s Mexican Cuisine.
Ask about the off-menu, wine-based cocktails, like the blackberry mojito. Bartender Matt Duran says the refreshing drink is a play on a popular Argentinean cocktail made with sweet sparkling wine on the rocks with a squeeze of lime.
“It’s all over Buenos Aires. You see it at the nightclubs,” Duran says.
Across the highway at the Omni Fort Worth Hotel, it’s the summer of sap, as guests can indulge in the sweetness of maple syrup with new seasonal maple-infused cocktails, menu items and even aromatic spa treatments at the hotel’s Mokara Spa. (Book the B. Kamins Laboratories refreshing maple facial, rich with antioxidants, minerals and alpha hydroxy acids, for only $99.)
Members of Omni’s food and beverage team traveled to maple-producing regions in Vermont and Montreal for training and tastings during the spring’s maple harvest and brought back exclusive recipes, like this thirst-quenching maple-peach margarita.
The cooling concoction features just a touch of maple syrup to replace the usual sugary-sweet triple sec, making it perfect for outdoor gatherings.
44Bootlegger blackberry mojito
This cocktail is as thirst-quenching as it is pretty.
- 4 to 5 mint leaves
- 3 blackberries
- Squeeze of lime wedge
- 8 ounces Siete Fincas Sparkling Torrontes or Argentinean sparkling wine
- 1/2 ounce mint-infused simple syrup
- Blackberry, mint leaf and lime wedge for garnish
1. Muddle mint leaves, blackberries and squeeze of lime wedge in a glass. Add sparkling wine and simple syrup and stir.
2. Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass. Garnish with a blackberry, mint leaf and lime wedge.
Nutritional analysis per drink: 221 calories, trace fat, 14 grams carbohydrates, trace protein, no cholesterol, 2 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber, 1 percent of calories from fat.
44 Bootlegger, 1411 Magnolia Ave., Fort Worth, 817-887-9089, www.44bootlegger.com
Makes 1 drink
- 1 ounce lime juice, plus more for rim
- Salt and maple sugar mixture for rim
- 2 ounces Herradura Reposado tequila
- 1 ounce amber maple syrup
- 3/4 ounce Peach RE’AL peach puree-infused syrup
- Lime wedge
1. Line glass rim with lime juice, then dip into salt and maple sugar mixture, and fill cup with ice.
2. In a cocktail shaker, combine remaining lime juice, tequila, maple syrup and peach syrup. Top with ice, shake vigorously, then strain into prepared cup. Top with a lime wedge squeeze.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 237 calories, trace fat, 28 grams carbohydrates, trace protein, no cholesterol, 137 milligrams sodium, trace dietary fiber, 1 percent of calories from fat.
Omni Fort Worth Hotel, 1300 Houston St., Fort Worth, 817-535-6664, www.omnihotels.com