Competitive bakers, dust off your rolling pins and grease your pans. The Star-Telegram holiday cookie contest is coming back.
After three years without our sweet-toothed readers’ favorite December duel, we’ve decided to relaunch the bake-off. And we’ve enlisted the help of Central Market Fort Worth, ensuring that the 2016 Very Merry Cookie Challenge will be the yummiest one yet.
The contest is deliciously simple: We want readers to submit their most delectable, most creative, most requested cookie recipe for judging — the one so special, you’d leave it out, with milk, for Santa.
Finalists will be chosen to bake their cookies for a public tasting event at Central Market on Dec. 4. (That’s right — even if you don’t enter, you’ll get a chance to judge!) One winner and the finalists will have their cookie recipes printed in the Star-Telegram and on recipe cards available at Central Market.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Central Market will donate a portion of the proceeds from the cookie-tasting event to Goodfellows, the Star-Telegram’s annual holiday charity that benefits needy families in the community.
Hungry to compete or judge? Here’s what to know:
1. To enter, click here for the entry form . It will prompt you to enter the name of your recipe, ingredients, instructions, yield and additional notes. Uploading a photo of the cookie is encouraged but not required. You will also be asked to provide your name, address, phone number and email address. Incomplete entry forms will be disqualified.2. Deadline to enter is 11:59 p.m. Nov. 13.
3. Finalists will be notified by email Nov. 18 and asked to bring in 10 dozen cookies for tasting at Central Market on Dec. 4. No exceptions.
4. One entry per baker. There is no age limit; kids are welcome to enter but must follow the same rules as adults.
5. The entry can be a traditional cookie or a bar, chocolate or fruity, easy or complicated, decadent or special-diet. The sky is the limit — but it must be a cookie and an original creation. Please do not start with a mix, a box or premade cookie dough, and do not plagiarize someone else’s recipe.
6. Past winners and runners-up may enter again. Star-Telegram and Central Market employees and their immediate families are not allowed to enter.
Tips for success:
▪ Judges love pretty cookies that taste good too. Think about presentation (as if on a platter at a holiday party) when you’re creating the recipe.
▪ Cookies that use high-quality ingredients do better in judging.
▪ We typically get A LOT of chocolate cookie recipes. Make yours stand out.
▪ Give your cookie an interesting or festive name.
All finalists will receive a $50 Central Market gift card and will have their recipe printed in the Star-Telegram. One will be named Grand Prize winner and will receive a $150 Central Market gift card. The winner will be revealed in the Star-Telegram on Dec. 11.
Judging of the finalists’ cookies will take place at the Central Market Fort Worth Cooking School, from 1 to 4 p.m. Dec. 4. Tickets to the event will be available through the Cooking School website, www.centralmarket.com. Watch the Star-Telegram Life & Arts section for more details in coming weeks.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.