Now's the time to level up Pokémon Go trainers!
During this period, players will earn double the amount of candy every time a Pokémon is caught, hatched or transferred. Walking with your Buddy Pokémon gets 4x the amount of candy earned. The Halloween special also promises more chances to catch ghoulish Pokémon including Gastly, Haunter, Drowzee, Hypno, Gengar, Zubat and Golbat. I’ve also picked up multiple Cubone and Meowth since the event began.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
The official start was Wednesday, but some players were already reporting bonus candies and Halloween Pokémon appearing as early as Tuesday night.
The Halloween event seems to be paying off for Niantic. The game shot back to the top of the App store this week.
Now is your chance to maximize your candy potential. Here are my top places to catch multiple Pokémon in a short period of time and load up on Halloween treats this weekend:
1. Downtown Fort Worth: This weekend should be prime hunting in the walkable downtown Fort Worth district. Burnett Plaza and Sundance Square typically have the most lures activated so focus your hunting around these sites. Panther Island Pavilion is also a hotbed for hunting with reported catches of Weezing, Prime Ape and Machamp.
Best sighting: Arcanine on 7th Street
2. Oak Street in Roanoke: Not only can you get some good grub in historic downtown Roanoke, you can also stroll down Oak Street to grab multiple items at PokeStops. There are also three gyms along the street if you want to train or fight. Eevees, Rattatas, Pidgeys are a plenty, but once in a while you can get lucky and find something new for your Pokedex.
Good to know: Take a break from hunting and stop by Oak Street Pie and Co. for a sweet slice of pie.
Best sightings: Seaking and Kadabra
3. Southlake Town Square: While I haven’t caught one, Pikachu has shown up on my sightings list every time I’ve visited the outdoor mall. Friends have also told me they have caught multiple Pikachu at this location so it may by worth the drive to Northeast Tarrant County.
Good to know: Catch a movie at Harkins Theatre after you catch all your Pokémon.
Best sighting: Pikachu if you can catch him
4. Downtown Burleson: The Pokémon Go Burleson Facebook group is pretty active. While I haven’t been to this location, the news feed on this group’s page is always buzzing with new finds including Blastoise and Snorlax.
Good to know: Our Star-Telegram reviewer gave Best Burger Barn a thumbs up.
Best sighting: 1773 CP Gyarados
5. Bedford Boys Ranch: Several folks have recommended this spot at Harwood Road and Forest Ridge Drive in Bedford for a good, family hunting expedition. I have yet to head over there; however, on the Pokémon Go Fort Worth Facebook page, there have been reports of Magikarp and Psyduck nests.
Good to know: The pond seems to be the best spawning area.
Best sightings: Slowpoke and Vulpix.