Driver in fatal hit-and-run knew he struck someone, police say

FORT WORTH -- The 20-year-old driver accused in a hit-and-run that fatally injured a 5-year-old girl and hurt two other children Sunday afternoon told officers that he knew that he had hit someone but didn't know how badly the person was hurt, police reported Monday.

Daniel McDonald of Fort Worth was in the Mansfield Jail on Monday facing two charges of leaving the scene of an accident that caused injury or death, according to a jail spokeswoman. Bail on each charge was set at $50,000.

A passenger in McDonald's vehicle, Patrick Allen Preston, 21, was also arrested and faces a public intoxication charge, police reported.

Khyla Hays, 5, died at Cook Children's Medical Center, the report said. She was struck while crossing in the 1700 block of Southcrest Drive about 2:30 p.m.

A second child, Lamarion Perry, 6, was taken to Cook Children's for treatment of injuries. A third person, who was not identified, was taken to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth with unknown injuries, police reported.

Officer B. Finch arrived about 2:30 p.m. as paramedics were leaving with the children, the report said. Finch was flagged down by a resident who said the driver of the sport utility vehicle that hit the children had gotten out of the vehicle. He was wearing a black shirt with an "S" on the front and black pants, the witness said.

Another officer said that the driver was headed south on Odell Drive and that his shirt had a racial slur on it with a large 2 in the middle that might look like an S.

The SUV was found in the 2200 block of Jacocks Lane, and the passenger was found in the 5000 block of Townsend Street, officers reported. The area is just south of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in south Fort Worth.

Preston, the passenger, was described by police as having watery, bloodshot eyes, unsteady balance and slurred speech, and the officer said he smelled like alcohol, according to the report. Preston told police he had been drinking with McDonald, who is his cousin.

Officers decided that McDonald was not intoxicated, the report said.

McDonald told an officer that he was westbound on Southcrest when he hit someone. He parked his SUV at an apartment complex -- Times Square on the Hill -- and ran until he was caught by police.