Stepfather faces capital murder charge in death of 2-year-old girl

FORT WORTH -- A 30-year-old man faces a capital murder charge in the death of his 2-year-old stepdaughter last month, authorities said Monday.

Samson Matthew Loynachan is accused of fatally injuring Chloe Madison Robinson on Aug. 25 at the family home in the 5900 block of Portridge Drive.

Chloe died the next night at Cook Children's Medical Center. The Tarrant County medical examiner's office ruled her death a homicide, caused by a blunt-force head injury.

Neither Loynachan nor the girl's mother could explain Chloe's injuries, said Child Protective Services spokeswoman Marissa Gonzales.

"They said she had gotten sick at day care and that the stepfather had gone and picked her up and then later that day, she became unresponsive," Gonzales said.

Loynachan was arrested on a capital murder warrant Friday, according to jail records. He remained in the Mansfield Jail on Monday with bail set at $500,000.

Gonzales said Loynachan and Chloe's mother both have other children but they live with their other parents.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, an investigator reported being at the children's hospital on an unrelated call when he learned that a toddler had arrived at the emergency room in full cardiac arrest with a nonaccidental head injury.

Loynachan told medical personnel that he had picked Chloe up from day care Aug. 25 because she had a low-grade fever and had vomited, and her mother could not leave her new job.

Loynachan told a detective that later that day, Chloe's arms were limp like a rag doll's so he stood her up and shook her and began yelling at her, the affidavit says. Shortly after, Loynachan said, he panicked and ran to a neighbor's home to have the neighbor call 911, police said.

Child-care workers told an investigator that Chloe was standing, walking and sleeping during the day and standing in the office just before she was picked up, the affidavit said.

Medical personnel said that Chloe had bilateral retinal hemorrhages and a head injury that was fatal even after surgical intervention. The injury, one doctor said, would have caused her to be symptomatic immediately and made her unable to walk, talk or eat, the affidavit says.

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752