Grieving student who was accused of marijuana use is allowed back in class

Byron Nelson High School junior Kyler Robertson was cleared to return to classes Thursday, his mother said, two days after he was suspended because he was believed to be under the influence of marijuana.

Robertson, 16, was grieving his father's death when he went to school Tuesday. He had bloodshot, watery eyes, and school officials said he smelled of marijuana, according to Cristy Fritz, his mother. After being checked by a school nurse, he was suspended and told that he would have to enter an alternative education program.

But a drug test performed later that day showed no evidence of marijuana or any other drug, according to records provided to the Star-Telegram.

After learning of the negative test results Wednesday, Northwest school district officials told Fritz that Robertson would no longer have to attend the alternative school.

But Fritz said she also wants the district to remove the suspension from his records and apologize for its "lack of compassion" in handling the situation. She was told she must file a complaint to get the records changed.

"We basically put our life and grieving on hold so we could follow the appeals process and not lose that opportunity," Fritz said Thursday. "At this point, my question to them was, 'What was he suspended for?'"

Robertson, who plays on the junior varsity golf team, did not return to school Thursday because his family is preparing for his father's funeral. Richard "Richie" Robertson was fatally stabbed Sunday during an argument.

District spokeswoman Lesley Weaver said she could not discuss specifics about the case, citing federal privacy laws.

She did say, however, that the district has offered support and counseling to Robertson.

"We're very sorry for the family's loss and we want to provide whatever resources they need to get through this," Weaver said.

Northwest school board President Mark Schluter declined to comment because of the possibility of litigation.

Jessamy Brown, 817-390-7326

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram