Fort Worth Star Telegram Logo

Suspect in Colleyville case bought bombmaking books a year ago, feds say | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

×
  • E-edition
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Newsletters

    • Local
    • Fort Worth
    • Arlington
    • Northeast Tarrant
    • Texas
    • Crime & Courts
    • Politics
    • Elections
    • Bud Kennedy
    • Databases
    • Nation and World
    • Cowboys
    • Rangers
    • TCU
    • Mac Engel
    • Colleges
    • Mavericks
    • Motorsports
    • Stars
    • High School Sports
    • Scores & Schedules
    • All Sports
    • Football
    • Baseball
    • Softball
    • Volleyball
    • Boys Basketball
    • Girls Basketball
    • Editorials
    • Letters
    • Submit a letter
    • Cheers and Jeers
    • Submit a Cheer or Jeer
    • Bud Kennedy
    • Michael Ryan
    • Cynthia M. Allen
    • Other Voices
    • Business
    • Growth
    • Restaurants
    • Arts & Culture
    • Movies
    • Things To Do
    • Music
    • Nightlife
    • Party Pics
    • Horoscopes
    • Comics
    • Contests
    • Puzzles and Games
    • Food & Drink
    • Arts
    • Health & Fitness
    • Indulge
    • The Keller Magazine
    • Neil Sperry
    • Social Eyes
    • Dear Abby
    • Weddings
    • Arlington Citizen-Journal
    • Keller Citizen
    • Star-Telegram Northeast
    • Mansfield News-Mirror
    • Weatherford Star-Telegram
    • La Estrella
    • Locales
    • Noticias
    • Deportes
    • Entretenimiento
    • Contáctenos
    • Media Kit
    • Today's Obituaries
    • Obituaries in the News
    • Submit an Obituary

    • All Weddings
    • Announcements
    • Bridal Show
    • Contact Us
    • Inspiration
    • News & Advice
    • Vendors
    • Hispanic Heritage
    • Cancer Awareness
    • Healthy Lifestyle
    • Dining, Entertaining
    • Breast Cancer Awareness
    • Think Green
    • Money Matters
    • All About Pets
    • Careers and Business
    • Health and Wellness
    • How To...
    • Women Today
    • Family and Parenting
    • Easy Living Tips
    • Lawn and Garden
    • Giving Back
    • Men Today
    • On the Road 1
    • On the Road 2
  • Public Notices
  • Local Deals
  • Cars
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Homes
  • Classifieds
  • Mobile & Apps

Moms

Mom2MomDFW.com

Suspect in Colleyville case bought bombmaking books a year ago, feds say

By DOMINGO RAMIREZ JR. - ramirez@star-telegram.com

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 11, 2010 10:26 PM

FORT WORTH -- A real estate broker accused of placing an explosive device on the front porch of his ex-wife's Colleyville home bought books on booby traps and bombs a year ago, authorities said Tuesday.

Federal authorities found a handwritten list of those books in the Fort Worth home of David Barouch last week during a search after he became a suspect.

Authorities also found 30 to 35 firearms that belonged to Barouch, who is an avid hunter, according to testimony during his detention hearing Tuesday.

Barouch, 51, was ordered by a federal magistrate to remain behind bars.

Digital Access For Only $0.99

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

After the hourlong hearing before U.S. Magistrate Jeffrey Cureton in Fort Worth, Barouch was to return to his cell in Parker County.

Matthew K. Belcher, Barouch's court-appointed attorney, argued that he was not a flight risk or a danger to others.

"He had ample opportunity to flee, but he did not," Belcher said. "As for a threat to the community, he lacks a criminal history, and there's no document of a violent temper."

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Bret Helmer described Barouch as a "bizarre man" who intended to kill his ex-wife.

"It wasn't an impulsive act," Helmer argued. "He ordered bombmaking books a year ago."

Barouch faces a federal charge of possession of an unregistered destructive device.

Federal agents and Colleyville police arrested Barouch last week after searching his home in the 5200 block of Selago Drive in far north Fort Worth.

Barouch became a suspect May 2, shortly after his ex-wife called Colleyville police to report that she had received a suspicious package at her home.

The device failed to ignite because a light bulb filament broke when it was placed inside the box, authorities said Tuesday.

Along with the automotive-type light bulb, the package contained two wooden salad bowls taped together, 3 pounds of smokeless powder, an electrical circuit, a 6-volt battery and bullet fragments. A federal official said the device was supposed to go off when the bowls were taken apart.

A dollar bill was found under the package, according to a search warrant affidavit.

Agent Travis Riddle of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives testified Tuesday that the bill was placed there to symbolize the last dollar that Barouch was giving his ex-wife.

No one was injured.

Colleyville police found that the salad bowls were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond at North East Mall in Hurst, and surveillance video showed Barouch buying the bowls and other material, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit stated that the Barouches, who have two sons, were divorced in June 2008 but continued fighting in court. The ex-wife told investigators that Barouch had left her threatening messages.

DOMINGO RAMIREZ JR., 817-390-7763

  Comments  

Videos

After two failed pregnancies, a Fort Worth couple delivers triplets

Ramen round-up: Where to find the Japanese noodle dish in Fort Worth

View More Video

Trending Stories

After gruesome injury and surgery, Cowboys receiver thanks fans, including concerned young fan

January 07, 2019 06:00 AM

Plan to oust Muslim from Tarrant Republican post could cost the party big bucks

January 07, 2019 01:47 PM

Anti-LGBTQ pastor ousted for ‘sleeping with prostitutes,’ fellow IFB pastor says

January 04, 2019 04:15 PM

Do the Cowboys still have the worst odds to win the Super Bowl?

January 06, 2019 06:54 PM

Fitzgerald withdraws his name from consideration for Baltimore police commissioner

January 07, 2019 08:46 AM

Read Next

Mom shares story of 'miracle' at nation's first More Than Pink Walk – in Fort Worth
Video media Created with Sketch.

Fort Worth

Mom shares story of 'miracle' at nation's first More Than Pink Walk – in Fort Worth

By Nick Tarrant

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 28, 2018 01:24 PM

Roxanne Martinez, Fort Worth resident and six-year breast cancer survivor shared her story and raised funds for the More Than Pink Walk, hosted by the Susan G. Komen Greater Fort Worth, on Saturday.

KEEP READING

Digital Access For Only $0.99

#ReadLocal

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE MOMS

Planning a party for a teen? Avoid the angst with these DFW options

Mari's Moments

Planning a party for a teen? Avoid the angst with these DFW options

March 23, 2018 09:31 AM
Have doubts about McDonald's 'healthy' Happy Meals? Try these DFW dining options for kids

Mari's Moments

Have doubts about McDonald's 'healthy' Happy Meals? Try these DFW dining options for kids

March 19, 2018 11:28 AM
WalletHub isn't all that impressed with how Texas values women

Texas

WalletHub isn't all that impressed with how Texas values women

March 06, 2018 03:47 PM
Seven sets of triplets help make 2018 a year for 'multiples' at Fort Worth hospital

Fort Worth

Seven sets of triplets help make 2018 a year for 'multiples' at Fort Worth hospital

February 28, 2018 03:00 PM
Theatre Arlington's 'Shrek Jr.' makes you a believer

Mari's Moments

Theatre Arlington's 'Shrek Jr.' makes you a believer

February 27, 2018 04:56 PM
Here's what parents need to know about 'Black Panther'

Mari's Moments

Here's what parents need to know about 'Black Panther'

February 15, 2018 11:41 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Rewards
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
Advertising
  • Information
  • Place a Classified
Copyright
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story