Area & state briefs: Fort Worth day-care owner's permit revoked

FORT WORTH -- The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has revoked the permit of a day-care owner after she was accused of spanking a child with a yardstick, officials said. Marissa Gonzales, a spokeswoman with Child Protective Services, said that in December the department forced Joyce Knight to stop operating her in-home day care at 7000 Hightower Street in Fort Worth while they investigated a report that prohibited punishment had been used. Gonzales said Knight waived her right to an administrative review, and her permit was officially revoked April 16. A legal notice about the incident was posted Sunday in the Star-Telegram. Gonzales said spanking is not permitted at any child-care center. "Even if the parents show up and you tell them their child was misbehaving, they can't spank them on the premises," Gonzales said.

4 men sought in game room robbery

FORT WORTH -- Police are searching for four men who robbed a game room in northwest Fort Worth on Sunday, tying up customers and employees and threatening to shoot an employee. Witnesses told police that the robbers entered Liberty's Game Room, 834 Blue Mound Road, at about 11 p.m. and played games for about 45 minutes. One man appeared about to leave but suddenly pulled out a gun, put it to the back of a female employee's head and ordered everyone to get on the ground, saying "or she's dead," the report stated. The other three robbers then stood up and stood around the room to keep everyone inside, the report stated. After tying everyone's hands behind their backs with zip ties, which they had with them, they stole a computer and bank bags containing cash and receipts from the office. They also took people's cellphones, the report stated.

Second person jailed in knife fight

BEDFORD -- A second person suspected in connection with a knife fight early Sunday at a Bedford apartment complex is behind bars, police said Monday. Jonathan M. White, 22, of Hurst is accused of knifing a man, who was not identified, at a complex in the 2800 block of Parkview Lane in Bedford. White was arrested later Sunday and remained in the Bedford Jail on Monday with bail set at $50,000, officials said. Michael Patrick Sullivan Jr., 21, of Irving is also in the Bedford Jail, accused of fatally stabbing William Eldridge, 21, of Euless. Eldridge was pronounced dead about 5 a.m. Sunday at a Bedford hospital, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office. Sullivan's bail is set at $200,000. Witnesses told police that several people were in an apartment when an argument erupted. Eldridge and another man, who has not been identified, were found with stab wounds. The second man was treated and released, police said.

Teen ruled competent in stabbing death

TYLER -- Doctors at a state hospital have deemed a 17-year-old boy competent for court proceedings in the stabbing death of an East Texas special education teacher. The teen has been under treatment at the Vernon State Hospital in northwest Texas. The Tyler Morning Telegram says Smith County Court-at-Law Judge Floyd Getz has set a May 13 hearing to determine whether the teen can be tried as an adult. The teen is charged as a juvenile in the September death of Todd Henry, a special education teacher at John Tyler High School in Tyler. The youth was 16 at the time of the standing.

Trial in baby's beating death begins

CONROE -- The trial began Monday for a man accused along with his girlfriend of beating the woman's 13-month-old daughter to death with a hammer in what authorities say the couple called an exorcism. Citing pretrial publicity, a judge moved the capital murder trial for Blaine Milam of Rusk County from East Texas to the Houston suburb of Conroe, about 160 miles south. If convicted in the December 2008 death of Amora Bain Carson, Milam could face the death penalty. Milam's girlfriend is awaiting trial. Both have pleaded not guilty. According to an arrest affidavit, the couple said they were performing an exorcism "to beat the demons out" of the child. Authorities say the couple told detectives that they decided to hire a priest after the exorcism went badly, but there was no indication of clergy being called to the home. The child was hit multiple times with a hammer and bitten more than 30 times, detectives said.