Moms

Man faces charge of sexual assault in 2001 abduction case

FORT WORTH -- A 28-year-old man linked by a DNA database to the rape of a woman abducted in east Fort Worth more than eight years ago now faces a charge of aggravated sexual assault in the case.

Carl Quinton Williams, who was arrested Wednesday, remained in the Mansfield Jail on Monday with bail set at $150,000.

The woman, then 18, reported to police that she was walking home Oct. 10, 2001, after being fired from her job when she was approached by a vehicle occupied by three men near Handley Middle School, Sgt. Cheryl Johnson, supervisor of the sex crimes unit, said Monday.

The men offered her a ride, which she refused, Johnson said. "They told her she was going anyway and forced her into the vehicle," Johnson said. "According to the report, she was either sprayed or injected with something, causing her to lose consciousness."

The woman told police that she awoke in a park.

"They were trying to put her on a picnic table when someone drove by, so they put her back in the car and took her to a motel," Johnson said.

At the motel, off Mansfield Highway, the woman was sexually assaulted by two of the three men, she told police. She later got away and went to a hospital.

Biological evidence collected there was entered into the Combined DNA Index System, a database that compares convicted offenders' DNA with crime-scene evidence. The database linked the evidence to Williams, who had spent time in prison for burglary of a habitation, according to court records.

Investigators confirmed the DNA match through additional tests, found the woman and got a warrant for Williams' arrest, Johnson said.

Court records show that Williams is scheduled to go on trial next month in an unrelated case, a burglary of a habitation with intent to commit a felony. He had been free on bail when he was arrested in the 2001 case.

Police don't know the identities of the other two men, Johnson said.

DEANNA BOYD, 817-390-7655

  Comments