▪ Join the Great Backyard Bird Count, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the River Legacy Living Science Center in Arlington. Help count birds for science and participate in family-friendly activities and cratfts. 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd. at Cooper Street. 817-860-6752, ext. 102; www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ Get expert help and free potting soil for a living Valentine’s bouquet during a free clinic at 10:15 a.m. Saturday at all area Calloway’s stores. www.calloways.com
▪ The Friends of the O.S. Gray Natural Area’s monthly Community Day is 1-4 p.m. Saturday. Trim hedges, spread mulch and make new friends. 2021 W. Abram St., Arlington. www.facebook.com/OSGrayNaturalArea
▪ Kids ages 3 to 5 and adults can go on an “Animal Picnic” on Saturday at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge and learn what animals in the wild eat. The activity, which involves a short hike, begins at 1 p.m. and repeats at 3 p.m. It’s free with paid admission ($2-$5). From 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, take the Greer Island Hike. It’s also free with paid admission.
▪ Volunteers are needed to work in the gardens of the Fielder House Museum 2-4 p.m. Sunday at 1616 W. Abram St., Arlington. Bring hand tools and shovels, and wear protective clothing to work with rosebushes. email@example.com, www.facebook.com/gardenclub-arlington
▪ To promote an appreciation of birds and the protection of natural habitat, the Fort Worth Audubon Society is accepting community civic grant applications from Tarrant County schools and civic organizations through Sunday. For details and a grant application, visit www.fwas.org.
Also, register for a canoe tour of the West Fork of the Trinity River, 8:30 a.m. Feb. 21. Canoes, paddes and life jackets are provided. $20, $15 members. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Curious about beautiful and tough perennial daylilies? The North Texas Daylily Society will have a free PowerPoint program and dinner at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Camellia Room of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. http://www.northtexasdaylilysociety.org/
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Simply call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For the “Cooking With Flower Essences” program led by Joy Lilljedahl of the Greater Fort Worth Herb Society, 10 a.m. Feb. 21, in Redbud Hall of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Gardens Blvd. For more information, contact Stacy Moore at 817-781-0478 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ For the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge’s spring docent and volunteer orientation, 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 21. Call Laura Veloz at 817-392-7413 to register. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.