▪ First Saturday at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas will be 9 a.m.-1 p.m. June 4 at the campus, 1700 University Drive, Fort Worth. Activities include story time; garden, building and collection tours; and more. www.brit.org.
▪ Take a National Trails Day hiking adventure at the the River Legacy Living Science Center in Arlington. It begins at 10 a.m.June 4, and you must pack a lunch. $5. Registration required; call 817-860-6752, ext. 102, to RSVP. A free all-ages nature walk with a naturalist begins at 11 a.m. Registration also required. 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. riverlegacy.org.
▪ The North Texas Daylily Society and the Daylily Growers of Dallas’ annual flower show, “Fireworks of the Garden,” will be 12:30-3 p.m. June 4 in Oak Hall at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center, 3222 Botanic Garden Blvd., Fort Worth. It’s free, and there will be door prizes.
▪ Local author Laura Eckroat will read her new book, Daisy — A Life Cycle Series, to kids from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. June 5 at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Kids will take a short nature hike, plant daisy seeds and make a craft. Admission to the refuge is $2-$5. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org
▪ Orchid expert Ron Midgett of Santa Fe, N.M., will talk about growing hybrids — many of them fragrant — at 7 p.m. June 6 at a meeting of the Fort Worth Orchid Society at the Deborah Beggs Moncrief Garden Center, Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For a “Leave No Trace” class for teenagers (ages 12-16), 11 a.m.-1 p.m. June 11 at the Bob Jones Nature Center. $15 per person; bring a snack. Call to register. 355 E. Bob Jones Road, Southlake. 817-491-6333; bjnc.org.
▪ For a monthly backyard composting class with the city of Arlington Master Composters on June 11 at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. It’s 9-11 a.m. at the back of the parking lot. Free book; no registration required. riverlegacy.org.
Send announcements of local home and garden happenings (including retail news) at least two weeks in advance to Places to Go, Features Department, Star-Telegram, Box 1870, Fort Worth, TX 76101, or send an email to email@example.com with “Places to Go” in the subject line.