▪ Check out a “Beekeeping 101” class, 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Marshall Grain store, 2224 E. Lancaster Ave., and at 2:30 p.m. at the Grapevine store, 3525 William D. Tate Ave. The class, which is free, will be taught by Stan Key, program director of the Metro Beekeeping Association. 817-416-6600; www.marshallgrain.com.
▪ Join a Backpacking 101 workshop led by Dallas Sierra Club members at 10 a.m. Saturday at the River Legacy Living Science Center in Arlington, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd. at Cooper Street. Cost is $30. Call 817-860-6752, ext. 102, to see if class space is available. At 11 a.m. Saturday, join a free children’s story time with an activity presented by an Arlington Public Library librarian. Also 10-11:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 23, kids ages 2 1/2-5 can take a hands-on Nature Adventurers class about turtles. Cost is $15 per child/adult pair, $5 for an additional child. Call to see if space is available. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ Hit the trails of the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge with a bilingual guide for “Nature en Espanol: El Invierno,” 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday. The hike is free with paid admission ($2-$5). On Sunday, 1-4 p.m., learn to identify trees and shrubs in winter during a 2-mile walk with a plant ecologist. The class is $10 ($5 for members) and includes admission.
Take an evening stroll with a naturalist beginning at 5:30 p.m. Thursday and observe the refuge’s wildlife as night falls. On Friday the Preschool Discovery Club will study animal tracks at 10:30 a.m. Both activities are $10, $5 members, and registration is required.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Also, register for a canoe tour of the West Fork of the Trinity River that begins at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 24. It’s $20, $15 members. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth, 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Simply call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For a star-gazing party at the O.S. Gray Natural Area, 2021 W. Abram St., at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 24. It is being organized by Friends of the O.S. Gray Natural Area and the Fort Worth Astronomical Society. If cloudy, the event will be rescheduled.
▪ For the Botanical Research Institute of Texas’ Agricultural College Day, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 24, at the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo at the Will Rogers Memorial Center. Fourteen representatives from agricultural colleges and universities will discuss classes, degree plans and financial aid. Stock Show admission is $10; $5 ages 6-16. brit.org