▪ Arlington Parks and Recreation’s O.S. Gray Natural Area community day will be 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. Bring work gloves and wear clothes appropriate for grooming trails, pulling weeds and picking up trash. 2021 W. Abram St., Arlington.
▪ Attend a “Cookin’ With Carol” class for gardeners, led by Carol Ritchie, at 11 a.m. Saturday at Marshall Grain’s Grapevine store, 3525 William D. Tate Ave. The cost is $10, and registration is required. Topics include harvesting, cooking and preserving fresh ingredients as well as knife skill and recipes. 817-416-6600; www.marshallgrain.com.
▪ Join an adult workshop on “Hiking and Camping the Great Parks of Texas” at the River Legacy Living Science Center in Arlington, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd. at Cooper Street. Led by author Wendel Withrow, the session is set for 1 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $30, or $50 for this class and a Jan. 17 Backpacking 101 class. Register and RSVP to 817-860-6752, ext. 102. www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ Kids can learn about the sights, scents and sounds of the cold-weather landscape during a class called “Making Sense of Winter,” 1-3 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Bring sketch books, drawing pencils and cameras, if desired. Sunday, 1:30-3:30 p.m., join “Tracking About” at the refuge’s Hardwicke Interpretive Center and take an easy hike in search of traces of wildlife. Both days’ activities are free with paid admission ($2-$5). 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth, 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Simply call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For the “Beekeeping 101” class, 10:30 a.m. Jan. 17, at the Fort Worth Marshall Grain store, 2224 E. Lancaster Ave., and 2:30 p.m. at the Grapevine store, 3525 William D. Tate Ave. The class, which is free, will be taught by Stan Key, program director of the Metro Beekeeping Association. 817-416-6600; www.marshallgrain.com.