One man died and another was injured early Thursday in a Fort Worth house fire, a fire official said.
Firefighters were dispatched to the fire in the 3200 block of Deen Road at 4:09 a.m., Fire Lt. Kent Worley said. When they arrived at 4:13 a.m., they found the entire front portion of the living room to the small frame house engulfed in flames.
After knocking down the flames, firefighters entered and found two men, believed to be ages 25 and 35, on the bedroom floor, Worley said.
Firefighters pulled the men outside and paramedics transferred them to John Peter Smith Hospital.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
One man died at JPS, he said. The other was transferred to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. Information on his condition was not immediately available.
Fire investigators determined that the fire started in the living room and was possibly caused by "discarded smoking materials," Worley said.
They also found water running in the kitchen and a large bowl in the sink, indicating the victims may have tried to fight the fire themselves before becoming overcome by smoke.
Damage was estimated at $58,000.