Two people were hurt and their home was heavily damaged Wednesday in an early-morning fire south of the Fort Worth Zoo, according to reports.
The fire at the house at 2516 Forest Park Boulevard was reported at 6:19 a.m., firefighters said.
Ricky Gresham and Sheri Holder, who lived in the house, suffered minor burns to their faces and smoke inhalation, said Lt. Kent Worley, fire department spokesman.
They were taken by ground ambulance to the burn unit at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Worley said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
The fire was still under investigation early Wednesday, but Worley said Holder told firefighters that she had been burning a candle and perhaps a pet dog upended it.
"She told us she woke up and she saw the fire in the living room," Worley said. "About that time the smoke detector went off."
The small brick home, about 1,500 square feet, had extensive damage from flames and smoke, Worley said. Estimated losses were $80,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents, Worley said.
Neighbors were taking care of the pet dog, Worley said.