Latest News

Man fatally shoots would-be robber, police say

Two men with shotguns tried to rob a man late Thursday in southeast Fort Worth, but the would-be victim pulled his own gun, killing one, police said.

Anthony Wilson, 27, of Arlington died at about 10 p.m. at Huguley Hospital, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office.

Wilson went to the hospital after the shooting, which happened an hour earlier outside a home in the 3800 block of Radford Road, according to reports. The neighborhood is southwest of the intersection of East Berry Street and East Loop 820.

Police responding to a report of shots fired at the address met with the 35-year-old resident, who said he was in his pickup outside the home when he was approached by two men toting shotguns.

The man was "forced to lie down in the street while the suspects contemplated what to do next," said Lt. Paul Henderson, police spokesman.

"One of the men," Henderson said, "decided to force (the resident) back inside his residence and told him to get up. As (he) began to stand up he retrieved a handgun that was concealed in his pants and began slinging lead at the two would-be robbers.

"One suspect was hit multiple times and immediately collapsed in the street."

The other man ran southbound from the location, Henderson said.

"A car drove by," he added, "and picked up the collapsed suspect and left the area."

Meanwhile, the hospital staff at Huguley called police to report that a man had just arrived with multiple gunshot wounds, but the man, later identified as Wilson, could not be saved, Henderson said.

Later, a 26-year-old man was brought to the hospital by a family member "to talk to police about his involvement with the shooting," Henderson said.

That man was not wounded, but he was questioned at police headquarters and subsequently arrested for an outstanding aggravated assault warrant out of Arlington, Henderson said.

"His involvement in the shooting is still not clear," Henderson said. "It is unknown if there are any others involved. The investigation is ongoing."

The man who shot the robber was not charged with anything Thursday night, Henderson said.

He noted, however, the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office can consider whether to refer the man's case to a grand jury, which is routine.