A burned-out motor on an air-conditioning unit caused the Arlington Fire Department to respond Monday morning to the Social Work building at the University of Texas at Arlington campus.
Smoke was reported in the building at 9:15 a.m. in the building near South Cooper and West Abram streets.
Fire personnel had detected smoke but no flames inside a mechanical room located on the second floor in the building. Smoke was caused by burned motor on an air-conditioning unit, a fire official said.
More than 50 students and faculty were evacuated from the building. Large fans are being used to ventilate the building.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.