Firefighters believe an electrical short early Monday sparked a fire that caused $200,000 of damage to a popular restaurant in northeast Dallas, according to reports.
The blaze was reported at 1:18 a.m. at La Calle Doce, Mexican restaurant, 1925 Skillman St., said Sherry Lopez, spokeswoman for Dallas Fire-Rescue.
The electrical short was found in a hallway off of the kitchen, Lopez said.
The flames, she added, "went vertical, and then when they reached the attic, they went horizontal."
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Forty firefighters had the blaze under control at 2:28 a.m., Lopez said.
Damage estimates were $150,000 to the restaurant and $50,000 to contents, Lopez said.
"Fire (was) contained to La Calle Doce," Lopez said, "but other businesses in the strip suffered smoke damage."
La Calle Doce, which specializes in Mexican seafood dishes, has won numerous dining awards since 1981 with restaurants on Skillman and on 12th Street in the Oak Cliff area of southwest Dallas.
In 2005, Oscar Sanchez, whose family founded the company, was murdered in a botched kidnap-for-ransom scheme. One defendant has been convicted so far in the case.