Latest News

Fort Worth man taken into custody after driving away from standoff

A man accused of beating and choking his girlfriend Friday was taken into custody without incident Saturday after barricading himself inside a home for 13 hours, Fort Worth police said.

Fermin Gonzales Jr. was taken into custody around 7:30 a.m. after he exited the home in the 4000 block of Vaughn Boulevard, entered a vehicle and began driving in the 4000 block of U.S. 287, police said.

He was apprehended on an arrest warrant -- issued just after midnight -- and was transported to jail, where he was booked on the charge of interference with emergency telephone call as a result of not allowing the victim, while inside the residence, to call 911, police said.

Other charges may be pending, police said. Gonzales' bail is set at $2,500.

A Fort Worth police SWAT team earlier had posted itself outside the house, but left about midnight with the situation still unresolved.

Shortly after midnight, some six hours after the standoff began, officers were seen transporting at least three family members away from the home near U.S. 287 (also known as the Martin Luther King Jr. Freeway) to another family member's residence, according to police.

It was not immediately clear why the unidentified man had holed up in the home in southeast Fort Worth. Police Sgt. R.A. Dehoyos said the man had beaten and choked his girlfriend earlier in the day and the two had fought about his drinking and drug use.

Dehoyos said police responding to a domestic disturbance report learned when they arrived that the unidentified man was apparently in possession of an AK-47 assault rifle and was threatening suicide. She said children were removed from the home at that time.

During the standoff, police attempted to contact the man by loudspeaker and at one point drove an armored car up to the porch and tossed out a telephone for the man to use to talk to negotiators. But the man didn't respond. At least one person at the scene told police that the man had said he intended to die at the hands of police.

Police also used a spotlight mounted on the vehicle to try and detect movement inside.