CLEBURNE -- People who come to swim or play on the slides at the Splash Station water park are being screened after officials closed the pools Saturday when they discovered a confirmed case of the cryptosporidium waterborne parasite.
Max Robertson, Cleburne's parks and recreation director said he is not aware of other pools in the area screening visitors.
Splash Station reopened Sunday.
"We are doing this as a precaution; we want to be as safe as possible," he said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
When people arrive at Splash Station in Hulen Park, they are asked to read a statement saying that if they have had diarrhea, vomiting or fever not to use aquatic facilities. The employees ask guests if they understand the statement, Robertson said.
So far, no one has been turned away from the park, he said.
On Saturday morning, officials learned that a lifeguard employed at Splash Station tested positive for the crypto parasite. Robertson said the lifeguard had recently returned from a trip, but he doesn’t know how the employee contracted the illness.
City health officials decided to close Splash Station Saturday morning to hyperchlorinate the water.