A 3-year-old child playing with a lighter ignited a three-alarm blaze late Monday at a DeSoto apartment complex that sent him to the hospital with second degree burns and displaced about 40 residents, according to reports.
The child was taken to Children's Medical Center in Dallas from the fire that was reported 9:50 p.m. at the Brookhollow Apartments, 203 Gilbert Ave. in DeSoto, said Michael Laws, the city's fire marshal.
The child's medical condition was unavailable Tuesday morning.
Bobby Guynes, the boy's father, was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas to be treated for smoke inhalation, Laws said. Guynes, believed to be in his 20s, was treated and released, a hospital spokesman said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The boy was playing with a lighter which set a love seat ablaze in his family's ground-floor apartment, Laws said.
"The fire went out through window and into the apartment above," Laws said. "Then it got into the attic and it ran the attic."
Volunteers for the American Red Cross were at the complex all night, providing relief for the displaced people.
"A total of 16 units were affected, however, only 12 were occupied," said Anita Foster, Red Cross spokeswoman.
"During the overnight hours," she added, "these 12 families have received nearly $10,000 in assistance from the Red Cross to cover the cost of groceries, new clothing, linens and more.
"The apartment manager does have available units for all of the displaced families so no Red Cross shelter is needed at this time."