GRAPEVINE — A fire started in one of the stores off Main Street in historic downtown Grapevine on Monday afternoon, but was quickly extinguished.
At 2:16 p.m., firefighters received a call from The Magic Pen about water leaking into their store from the closed store next door, according to officials.
Firefighters forced their way into the store, Simply Celebrations, in the 400 block of South Main St., to find a newly installed sprinkler system having done its job – the system had put out a small fire and ultimately saved about three historic buildings, officials said.
"The new sprinkler system did the job it was supposed to do," Lt. Todd Dearing said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The fire started from an unattended candle that was left burning from about 5 p.m. on Sunday, when Simply Celebrations closed for the day.
The glass candle burst, breaking the glass shelf it was placed on and landing in a box of flammable materials underneath Kiss the Bride invitations and next to wedding announcements.
Division Fire Chief Mark Ashmead estimated water damages at about $5,000, but said if it hadn’t been for the newly installed sprinkler system, the fire could have easily spread to the two adjacent stores and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
The new sprinkler systems were made mandatory after the City Council unanimously passed an ordinance intended to protect the city’s historic buildings.
"This is a tailor-made case with why you need fire sprinklers, especially on historic Main Street," City Manager Bruno Rumbelow said. "These buildings represent the soul of Grapevine."