Latest News

Suspect identified in fatal 'tagging' incident

FORT WORTH -- The suspect arrested in the case involving gang graffiti that turned deadly last week at a west-side apartment complex has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a police spokesman said.

Rusty Murillo, 23, was first arrested Monday during a traffic stop in the 2300 block of NE Loop 820, said Lt. Paul Henderson, the police spokesman.

Officers had been following Murillo because they had a tip from a witness who recognized him during the shooting July 10 at the Spanish View Apartments, 2805 Broadmoor Drive, Henderson said.

Detectives got a murder warrant for Murillo, but he was released after they questioned him.

On Tuesday, however, Murillo was arrested again, this time in the 6000 block of Texas 121, also called the Airport Freeway. The new warrant was for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Henderson said.

Murillo was being held Thursday at the Mansfield Jail, with bond set at $25,000, according to jail records.

Earlier Thursday, Henderson said the suspect was a juvenile, but he clarified a few hours later that Murillo was the man who was arrested.

Detectives are still looking for other suspects in the case, Henderson said.

Police said last week that at least three gang members, possibly five, had gone through the complex on July 10 and "tagged" graffiti on some parked vehicles. The apartments are southeast of the intersection of Interstate 30 and Las Vegas Trail.

Words were exchanged between some residents and the gang members who left the scene. They returned later and fired gunshots at the front door of the apartment where the victim lived, Henderson said.

The suspects, he added, entered the apartment and continued to shoot, and then they fled the scene.

The victim, who was shot in the chest, was taken to Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to reports.

Another man at the apartment had multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in critical but stable condition, but he was expected to make a full recovery, Henderson said on Thursday.