Lions coach Rod Marinelli held up the team photo this week, telling his players how embarrassing it would be to have the photo hanging in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, memorializing the NFL’s only 0-16 season.
“He said we’re not going 0-16, and nobody wants to be a part of [that kind of] NFL history,” running back Aveion Cason told the Detroit News.
Kicker Jason Hanson, in his 17th season with the Lions, has spoken up about the winless skid after the past two losses. He said Marinelli’s presentation hit home.
“I thought it was good,” Hanson told reporters. “I thought, ‘What good is it to not say anything about it and pretend like it doesn’t exist?’ We need to get our act together as players."
1. NY Giants, 11-1 -- The Giants can clinch the NFC East title and a first-round bye with a victory over the Eagles.
2. Tennessee, 11-1 -- The Titans can clinch the AFC South with a victory over Cleveland.
3. Pittsburgh, 9-3 -- James Harrison’s 14 sacks are one shy of the franchise-record 15 set by linebacker Mike Merriweather in 1984.
4. Tampa Bay, 9-3 -- Jeff Garcia has five consecutive victories over the Panthers, throwing nine touchdowns and three interceptions in those five games.
5. Indianapolis, 8-4 -- The Colts went 5-0 in November.
6. Carolina, 9-3 -- Jake Delhomme is 7-2 in his career against Tampa Bay, including a 3-1 record at home.
7. NY Jets, 8-4 -- The Jets have won three in a row on the road.
8. Baltimore, 8-4 -- The Ravens are 4-1 at home.
9. Dallas, 8-4 -- In the past 11 seasons combined, the Cowboys are 18-36, including five playoff losses, after Nov. 30.
10. Atlanta, 8-4 -- Michael Turner is third in the NFL with 1,208 rushing yards.
11. New England, 7-5 -- The Patriots have won 13 consecutive against NFC teams.
12. Washington, 7-5 -- The Redskins have lost their past three at FedEx Field and are 3-4 at home. They have won their past four on the road and are 4-1 away from home.
13. Miami, 7-5 -- The Dolphins have gained 300 or more yards in 10 consecutive games.
14. Minnesota, 7-5 -- The Vikings are 12-1 against the Lions in the past 13 games.
15. Denver, 7-5 -- The Broncos are 28th in the league against the run and are surrendering an average of 144.3 yards per game.
16. Arizona, 7-5 -- The Cardinals have scored 40 touchdowns, more than any team in the league.
17. Philadelphia, 6-5-1 -- Donovan McNabb has an 84.8 passer rating, which is his lowest rating since 2003.
18. New Orleans, 6-6 -- The Saints lead the NFL in total offense, averaging 405.3 yards per game.
19. Buffalo, 6-6 -- In his career against Miami, J.P. Losman has seven touchdowns, two interceptions and a 99.2 rating.
20. Chicago, 6-6 -- Kyle Orton is 12-2 as a starter at home.
21. Green Bay, 5-7 -- The Packers are 7-1 in their past eight December games.
22. Houston, 5-7 -- The Texans are 13-41 in road games all time.
23. San Diego, 5-8 -- The Chargers have won 11 in a row over the Raiders.
24. Jacksonville, 4-8 -- David Garrard is 7-1 in his career against NFC teams.
25. Cleveland, 4-8 -- Ken Dorsey is 2-8 as a starter. He has not started since 2005.
26. San Francisco, 4-8 -- The 49ers have 53 plays of 20 or more yards, which is the second most in the NFL.
27. Kansas City, 2-10 -- In his past six starts, Tyler Thigpen has 11 touchdowns and four interceptions.
28. Oakland, 3-10 -- The Raiders are only the third NFL team to lose 10 or more games for six consecutive seasons.
29. Seattle, 2-10 -- Mike Holmgren’s last season will be his worst season.
30. St. Louis, 2-10 -- The Rams are guaranteed their sixth double-digit loss season in 14 seasons in St. Louis.
31. Cincinnati, 1-10-1 -- The Bengals are guaranteed their 16th double-digit loss season in 41 years as a franchise.
32. Detroit, 0-12 -- The Lions have lost 19 of their last 20 games.
Dallas (+3) at PITTSBURGH -- Reggie Jackson was known as Mr. October for a reason. Tony Romo has to prove that he can be Mr. December/January. In his two seasons as a starter, Romo is 4-7 after Nov. 30. He has completed 59.2 percent of his passes (213 of 360) for 2,496 yards (a 226.9 yards per game average) with 11 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and two lost fumbles in those 11 games.
STEELERS 17, Cowboys 14
Charean’s season record: 9-3
Atlanta (+3) over NEW ORLEANS -- The Saints are last in the NFC South, and running back Deuce McAllister and defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant have been suspended for the rest of the season. The Falcons are playing for their playoff lives. Just a gut feeling that the Falcons, with more to play for, will play harder.
Falcons 27, SAINTS 23
Miami (+1) over BUFFALO* -- The Dolphins must feel like they’ve won the lottery: J.P. Losman is starting for the Bills, and the game is indoors in Toronto.
DOLPHINS 21, Bills 20
* -- The Bills are playing a home game in Toronto.
Charean’s season record: 3-10
NY Jets (-4) over SAN FRANCISCO -- In his career, Brett Favre is 66-23 in temperatures of 45 degrees or less. But, since he’s 39 and has struggled the past three Decembers, Favre might enjoy this week’s weather a little better than last week’s.
Jets 28, 49ERS 10
Charean’s season record straight up: 12-1
Charean’s season record against spread: 8-3-2
-- Home team in caps.
1. Browns running back Jamal Lewis hasn’t done much against the Titans. In seven meetings against Tennessee, Lewis does not have a 100-yard game. He didn’t make it above 50 in four of those games. Overall he has averaged 3.4 yards per carry, including 2.2 yards per carry in this last three meetings against the Titans.
2. The Ravens lead the NFL with 20 interceptions, including 10 the past four games. Washington quarterback Jason Campbell has thrown just four picks in 378 attempts this season.
3. Eagles kicker David Akers has struggled with the swirling winds at Giants Stadium. He has made only 3 of 11 field goal attempts from 35-plus yards in the Meadowlands.