Latest News

Contract worker electrocuted at Cowboys Stadium

ARLINGTON -- A contract worker was electrocuted while checking an electrical connection at the Cowboys Stadium construction site about 11 a.m. Saturday, according to officials.

Timothy Mackinnon, 45, of Arlington was pronounced dead about noon at the stadium in the 900 block of West Sanford Street, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's Web site.

The worker was on a ladder at the stadium's street level checking the connection and apparently touched one of the high voltage lines, a fire official said.

The worker stayed on the ladder, and was wedged between it and one of the northwest stadium walls when co-workers rushed to his aid and began to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, said Neal Strasser, Arlington Fire Department battalion chief.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they continued to perform CPR, but were unable to revive the victim, Strasser said. Firefighters worked to save the worker until they reached Arlington Memorial Hospital, Strasser said.

Mackinnon was described as a journeyman electrician who was working on the stadium electrical systems when the accident occurred. Mackinnon was working with JMEG Electrical of Dallas, a subcontractor for Manhattan Construction, the general contractor for the stadium project.

The official cause of the accident is unknown at this time, but JMEG and Manhattan officials are cooperating with federal and local authorities as they investigate the fatality, a written statement from Manhattan Construction said.

Previous mishaps

Stadium construction started in April 2006 and is expected to be completed in time for the 2009 NFL season.This was the fourth major accident at the stadium site.

On Thursday, three workers were hurt when the cable snapped on a crane that was being used to assemble another crane. The three men had to jump 15 to 20 feet to avoid whipping cables.

Two of the men have been released from Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, but one of the construction workers, Wesley Harlow, 25, was listed in serious condition Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

In January 2007, a worker fell 20 feet through a hole between stadium levels. His employer, Carrollton-based Capform, was fined $10,000 for not properly marking hole covers and not providing appropriate safety training. The worker later returned to work.

Later that year, a worker suffered broken vertebrae when a crane hook struck him in the back. He was taken to the hospital and released the next day.

This story includes information from Star-Telegram archives.