Latest News

1 man drowns, another missing on Joe Pool Lake

GRAND PRAIRIE — One man drowned and another was still missing Tuesday after two separate water accidents Monday evening on the West side of Joe Pool Lake.

The search was expected to resume Tuesday morning for a 27-year-old man who went beneath the surface around 7 p.m. Monday near Lynn Creek Park, police said.

But while they were searching for that man, another drowning was reported at about 8 p.m. at the Jet Ski Beach of Lynn Creek Park, police said.

Callers told police that a man was swimming to the no-wake buoy and began calling for help and waving his arms.

Next, they said, the man "slipped under the water and had not come up," police stated in a news release.

Police and firefighters began searching and "after a few minutes, the victim was located by the divers and taken to a waiting ambulance."

The man was taken to MCA Hospital in Arlington but he could not be saved, police said. His name was not available Tuesday morning.

In the first incident, police and firefighters were called to Lynn Creek Park around 7 p.m. to search for the man who had been on a pontoon boat with friends and jumped into the lake to go swimming, but without a life jacket, police said.

A witness told police that after a few minutes, the man "appeared to be in distress."

"The occupants of the pontoon boat attempted to throw a life jacket to the (man) who was unable to grab the jacket," police said in the release. "One of the occupants of the pontoon boat jumped in to swim to the (man) and as she reached him he slipped under the water."

The fire department dive team searched for the man for about 30 minutes, but the divers could not find him. The search was called off until Tuesday morning.

Also Monday, the emergency crews responded to a motorcycle wreck on southbound Lakeridge Parkway near the entrance to Lynn Creek Park, police said.

Witnesses told police that the man on the motorcycle was speeding and "weaving in and out of traffic when he lost control of the motorcycle and crashed."

He was not wearing a helmet, police said.

A helicopter ambulance took him to Methodist Hospital in Dallas, but his name and his medical condition were unavailable Tuesday morning.