FORT WORTH -- A 73-year-old woman was admitted to a Dallas hospital Wednesday morning after she was pulled by her roommate from their burning mobile home in the 8000 block of Wichita Street in southeast Fort Worth.
Ruby Murray was pulled from the home by her roommate, Doris Lee, said Lt. Kent Worley, fire department spokesman. The home is near the intersection of Wichita Street and Buie Drive.
Worley said Murray, who uses oxygen in her home, was smoking in bed and caused the fire.
Lee told fire officials that she woke up to the smell of smoke shortly after midnight Wednesday.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
She realized that the fire was in Murray's bedroom, Worley said. Lee was able to get through the flames and pull Murray to the front of the home where she was met by firefighters, Worley said.
According to NBC5, Lee ran back into the home to turn off Murray's oxygen tank.
"She was on the porch and if it blew up, I was afraid she’d go with it," Lee told NBC5.
Murray was transported by CareFlight helicopter to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment of smoke inhalation and burns, Worley said. Murray's condition was not available late Wednesday morning.
Lee was uninjured, he said.
Worley said the home received about $40,000 in damage.