A Channel 8 meteorologist tells us when, why she’s leaving WFAA

WFAA/Channel 8 meteorologist Colleen Coyle made it official Wednesday, telling viewers she’ll leave the station after nine years to spend more time parenting a recently adopted pre-teen foster daughter.

“The world says you can have it all, you can do it all — but sometimes you just can’t,” she said in a Facebook Live video from her home kitchen, saying she needs more time with the daughter introduced months ago as a “wonderful, amazing foster child.”

Coyle said she will tell viewers goodbye on the 4 p.m. Friday newscast.

Coyle’s departure was announced to the staff last week, but she said she was not ready to talk publicly.

At the start of the Facebook Live, she said she “needed a little time on this one before I filmed this video and and shared this news. ... Here I am, the real raw me, to tell you what’s going on. Here we go.”

She said she and her husband became “instant parents” and told viewers for the first time that her daughter is almost a teenager.

“I needed to make a change,” she said, “for my husband, for my daughter and for myself.”

Coyle said she hopes to find another way to use her passion for weather and TV talent.

“I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to serve this community,” she said.

Coyle has been with the station nine years.

DFW storms have kept her working late several nights since her return from an earlier six-week leave for the adoption.

WFAA and the Star-Telegram have a content partnership.

We featured Coyle in this story about ugly Christmas sweaters in 2015 (Coyle is known for her love of Christmas and Halloween). Star-Telegram photographer Max Faulkner shot Coyle in her Christmas sweater leaping in front of the green screen — and that became a meme.

(This article includes content from Star-Telegram archives.)

Watch Coyle’s earlier adoption-leave announcement below.

Columnist Bud Kennedy is a Fort Worth guy who covered high school football at 16 and has moved on to two Super Bowls, seven political conventions and 16 Texas Legislature sessions. First on the scene of a 1988 DFW Airport crash, he interviewed passengers running from the burning plane. He made his first appearance in the paper before he was born: He was sold for $600 in the adoption classifieds.