The Ashton Depot, opened in 1899 as the Santa Fe Depot in response to growing demand for railroad service in Fort Worth, is celebrating its 10th anniversary as a full-service event venue this year.
The majestic space, with its original tin ceilings, stained-glass windows and marble floors, also boasts a lush outdoor garden from which executive chef Cesar Gallegos frequently harvests ingredients for his event menus.
Try Gallegos’ recipe for citrus grilled black tiger shrimp with artisan lettuce bouquets and jalapeño-orange plum jam, which features apples, plums, jalapeños, coriander seeds and more, all sourced from the garden.
The colorful dish showcases summer’s bounty while providing inspiration for backyard gardeners.
For more Tarrant-area food and restaurant news, pick up this month’s Indulge magazine or visit IndulgeDFW.com.
Citrus grilled black tiger shrimp with artisan lettuce bouquets and jalapeño-orange plum jam
Citrus grilled black tiger shrimp:
- 16 U-12 black tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-on
- Zest from 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
Toss shrimp with citrus zests and olive oil, and marinate for 5 minutes. Season with salt and grill each side evenly until done.
Nutritional analysis per serving, 183 calories, 9 grams fat, 2 grams carbohydrates, 23 grams protein, 173 milligrams cholesterol, 202 milligrams sodium, trace dietary fiber, 44 percent of calories from fat.
Jalapeño-orange plum jam:
Makes 5 cups
- 4 1/2 cups red plums, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 jalapeño, diced small
- Zest and juice from 2 oranges
- 1 package (1.75 ounces) fruit pectin
- Salt, to taste
1. Add plums and water to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in sugar, jalapeño, orange zest and juice, pectin and salt. Bring to a boil for one minute, stirring constantly to dissolve pectin. Remove from heat and cool in refrigerator.
Nutritional analysis per 1-tablespoon serving: 30 calories, trace fat, 7 grams carbohydrates, trace protein, no cholesterol, 3 milligrams sodium, trace dietary fiber, 2 percent of calories from fat.
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup walnut halves
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Combine syrups and spices. Toss with walnuts and bake on a nonstick baking pad for 30 minutes, stirring every 6 minutes.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 301 calories, 18 grams fat, 33 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams protein, no cholesterol, 27 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber, 50 percent of calories from fat.
Artisan lettuce bouquets:
- 16 ounces mixed artisan lettuce leaves, cores removed, rinsed and dried
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled and thinly sliced lengthwise using a mandoline
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 apples, unpeeled and diced
1. Separate lettuce leaves into small bundles. Use cucumber slices to wrap around the middle of each bundle to secure them. Reserve.
2. Whisk together olive oil and juices. Season with salt.
To serve: Plate each salad with one to two lettuce bundles and top with crumbled goat cheese and apples. Serve with citrus grilled black tiger shrimp, candied walnuts and a smear of jalapeño-orange plum jam on crostini.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 338 calories, 24 grams fat, 22 grams carbohydrates, 13 grams protein, 30 milligrams cholesterol, 160 milligrams sodium, 7 grams dietary fiber, 61 percent of calories from fat.
1501 Jones St., Fort Worth, 817-810-9501, www.theashtondepot.com