Arlington woman, teen had explosives in pickup, police say

An Arlington woman and a teenager had explosives in their pickup Saturday evening during a road-rage incident with another motorist that started in Arlington and ended on Southeast Loop 820 in Fort Worth, authorities said Sunday.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokesman Tom Crowley declined to make any additional comments other than to say that they had explosives.

Kimberly Al-Homsi, 45, and Yasinul Ansari, 18, also of Arlington, are scheduled to go before a federal judge in Fort Worth on Tuesday to face federal explosives charges, Crowley said Sunday. Federal offices are closed today for Presidents Day.

"Once the complaint is filed, there will be more information," Crowley said.

Al-Homsi remained in custody Sunday in the Arlington Jail in lieu of $210,000 bail. Ansari was in the Arlington Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail, accused of possession of a prohibited weapon.

Al-Homsi is accused of evading arrest with injury to an officer, possession of a prohibited weapon and two counts of making a terrorist threat -- all state charges.

Fort Worth police closed the highway Saturday evening for more than five hours at East Rosedale Street after what appeared to be an incident of road rage in Arlington turned into a bomb squad investigation in Fort Worth. By 11:15 p.m. Saturday, members of the Fort Worth bomb squad had detonated four charges as they examined a vehicle containing what authorities called a suspicious device.

Authorities said Arlington police received a telephone call about 5 p.m. from a driver who reported that someone in another vehicle had pointed a weapon at him as they both traveled on Texas 360 between Pioneer Parkway and East Abram Street.

Arlington police saw a pickup matching the description and tried to stop it. The driver continued, and officers began pursuit, Arlington police said.

After about a 20-minute chase, the pickup hit a patch of ice, spun out of control and came to a stop on Rosedale beneath Loop 820 in Fort Worth.

After talking to Ansari and Al-Homsi, Arlington police asked that the Fort Worth bomb squad be called in.

Al-Homsi has a criminal history involving a fake grenade and possessing prohibited weapons, according to Tarrant County criminal court records.

In July 2007, Al-Homsi was arrested on suspicion of prohibited weapons after her roommate held Arlington police at bay during a six-hour standoff in their southeast Arlington home.

Four suspicious packages and a weapon were confiscated from the house after Al-Homsi's roommate, Aisha Abdul-Rahman Hamad, surrendered to police. Authorities never released details of what was in the packages.

Tarrant County criminal court records show that Al-Homsi was sentenced to 110 days in jail.

Court records also show that Al-Homsi waved a fake hand grenade at a motorist in 2005. She was put on probation for nine months for making a terroristic threat.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.