Tony Romo has not decided whether to have surgery on his left collarbone, which he has fractured three times in his career.
“That’s up to Tony,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Tuesday. “At the end of the day, I think he’s wanting to make sure he gets every opinion and make sure he does it right. At the end of the day, this is not something that’s required at all. It’s just preventative. It’s up to him to make sure he feels good about it, and we all feel good about it. We’ll make a decision at that point.”
At the Super Bowl earlier this month, Romo said he would make a decision by early March whether to have surgery. He could have a plate surgically inserted to reinforce the collarbone, or more likely, a Mumford procedure to shave the lateral end of the clavicle.
Never miss a local story.
The recovery time from either surgery is 6-8 weeks, putting him back for organized team activities in May.
Romo, who turns 36 in April, played only two full games last season. He broke his collarbone in two others during a 10-week span.
Romo also fractured his left collarbone in 2010.
He has not played a full season since 2012, and the Cowboys went 1-11 last season with three backup quarterbacks making starts.
“You start with the quarterback,” Jones said. “I think with a healthy Romo we all feel like…. That’s a big if. We’ve got to make sure he stays healthy. That’s been more challenging lately than not. That’s another situation we’ve got to do a better job of having a solution at quarterback if something does happen to Tony.”
While the Cowboys are doing their due diligence on quarterbacks in the draft, leaving open the possibility of using the fourth overall pick on the position, they also maintain faith that Romo has several good years ahead of him.
“He may play three or four more years,” Jones said. “If that were the case, that’s great, because that means he’s playing lights out for 3-4 more years, and that means we’re successful because that’s happened.”