Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo says don't worry about him next season.
In fact, don't worry about the next five seasons.
Romo, who turned 34 last month, said he will return from his second back surgery in as many off-seasons not only as good as before but better than before.
“There’s no question in my mind, not only am I going to be able to make it through 16 games, I’ll make it through another five years,” Romo said Wednesday in a radio interview in on KRLD 105.3 The Fan. “I'm going to come back a better player than I've ever been."
It was the most extensive details Romo has given about his rehab from back surgery in December, and he used the occasion to offer confidence about his recovery.
He said he has been throwing, running and lifting weights and hopes to be 100 percent in another month.
“Backs eventually just continue to get better and better and better, and all of a sudden you’re 100 percent,” he said. “We’re coming up on that pretty soon. Within the next month, there’s no question we’ll be 100 percent. Hopefully, it’s in the next week or two, which is a viable and serious time that it could happen in.
“It could be another two or three weeks. We’ll see. We’ll be smart, but at the same time, we’ve got to get to work.”
Romo also addressed a few topics about the Cowboys.
• On new play-caller and passing-game coordinator Scott Linehan: "I think he's very good. When you look at the tape from Detroit, you’ve got to enjoy some of the things they did."
• He said he approved the team's decision to build the offensive and defensive lines in the draft and free agency. Because of that, he said the next few years will be the Cowboys' best teams.
• He said defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford will be the breakout player to watch.
• He admitted watching the 2014 NFL Draft and all the drama surrounding quarterback Johnny Manziel possibly being drafted by the Cowboys. He said it was never a concern for him because he had inside information on the Cowboys' draft plans.