Another day, another defensive lineman dealing with an injury.
This time, first-round pick Taco Charlton worked on the side Wednesday with a tight back. Charlton said “I’m good” multiple times without disclosing his injury.
Asked if he’d practice Thursday, Charlton said: “Hopefully. I’ll talk to the trainers and we’ll see.”
Charlton had company on the latest injury report. Cornerback Marquez White is dealing with a hamstring and wide receiver Brice Butler exited with a foot injury.
Never miss a local story.
On to the observations:
1. The defensive line appeared to fare all right the day after Tyrone Crawford sustained an ankle sprain. Defensive tackle Stephen Paea got by center Travis Frederick for a would-be sack in team drills against the first team. Later on with the second team, defensive end Damontre Moore got to quarterback Kellen Moore.
2. The offense had little trouble sweeping the first set of “compete” drills. Ezekiel Elliott got open with relative ease against linebacker Damien Wilson; Rico Gathers continues to be a massive target in winning his battle against safety Xavier Woods; and receiver Javontee Herndon got by cornerback Sammy Seamster.
3. Safety Byron Jones continues to show up for the Cowboys’ secondary. Jones had another interception Wednesday, coming down with a tipped ball from Dak Prescott. Jones went on to take it to the house for a pick-six. Jones spent this off-season working with the Texas Rangers’ Double A affiliate in Frisco, and it appears to have paid off with his more refined ball skills.
4. Receiver Ryan Switzer seems to have gotten past his hamstring issues that kept him from traveling with the team to the Hall of Fame game. Switzer caught a slant and took it up the sidelines for a nice gain in team drills. But Switzer did drop a punt in team drills.
5. Emmett Cleary appears to have the inside track to the swing tackle position. He took the majority of the first-team reps at left tackle with Tyron Smith dealing with a tight back. Cleary was with the Cowboys for the final 13 games last season, and held his own with the first team on Wednesday. Cleary’s biggest internal competition is Kadeem Edwards, who got a few snaps with the first team as well.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“It’s great work for me, but Tyron Smith isn’t getting Wally Pipp’d by anyone.” — Emmett Cleary on working at first-team left tackle in place of Smith who was out with a back issue
DT Cedric Thornton (hamstring): Day-to-day
LT Tyron Smith (back): Day-to-day
WR Brice Butler (foot): Day-to-day
DE Taco Charlton (back): Day-to-day
CB Marquez White (hamstring): Day-to-day
DE Tyrone Crawford (ankle): Undetermined
DE Charles Tapper (hip/ leg): Day-to-day
OL Chaz Green (shoulder): Out extended period
CB Anthony Brown (hamstring): Day-to-day
CB Jourdan Lewis (hamstring): Day-to-day
OL Joe Looney (toe): Day-to-day
LB Justin Durant (Non-football injury): Day-to-day