Marion to sign with Cavaliers

The former Maverick will play for a reported $1.4 million.

08/17/2014 8:55 PM

08/17/2014 8:55 PM

Shawn Marion wanted another shot at an NBA title.

He’ll get it playing with LeBron James.

The free agent forward agreed to a contract with the Cavaliers, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The 36-year-old Marion informed the Cavs this weekend that he will take a minimum deal and play for them next season, said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract has not been finalized.

Marion also had interest in signing with the Indiana Pacers, who are looking for help after losing Paul George for the season with a broken leg.

ESPN.com first reported Marion’s agreement with the Cavs.

The Cavs can only offer the 15-year veteran a deal worth $1.4 million because they’re out of room under the salary cap.

A four-time All-Star, Marion gives Cleveland another veteran with postseason experience to compliment James, who is returning to the Cavs intent on winning the city’s first pro championship since 1964.

The team has previously signed shooters Mike Miller and James Jones, who won two NBA titles with James in Miami.

Cleveland is also on the brink of adding All-Star forward Kevin Love, who is expected to come over from Minnesota in a trade on or after Aug. 23. While Love gives the Cavs size, another shooter and an excellent passer, he has never played in a postseason game as a pro.

Marion, on the other hand, has played in 103 NBA playoff games.

He won a title as a role player with Dallas in 2011 and spent the past five seasons with the Mavericks.

Considered a strong defensive player, he’s averaged 15.8 points and 9.0 rebounds during his career, which began with Phoenix in 1999. Marion was with the Suns for nine-plus seasons and worked with Cavs general manager David Griffin.

Sources told ESPN that Marion had been telling teams for weeks that he hoped to wind up with a championship contender if he left the Dallas Mavericks in free agency.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service