Mavericks sign Eric Griffin, one of their summer league stars
07/18/2014 10:37 PM
11/12/2014 6:57 PM
The Dallas Mavericks signed forward Eric Griffin to a one-year, non-guaranteed contract on Friday.
The 6-foot-8, 194-pound Griffin played this past season in Venezuela and Puerto Rico, and also played seven preseason games for the Miami Heat.
Griffin was one of the stars on the Mavs’ summer league team, scoring 20 points on 9-of-13 shooting, blocking three shots and grabbing three rebounds in Friday’s 88-62 win over Phoenix in Las Vegas, completing a 10-day stay that saw the Mavs go 3-2.
The Mavs still have their $2.73 million exception and veteran’s minimum slot available to sign free agents. They remain interested in guards Mo Williams, Jameer Nelson, Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford.
– Dwain Price
A judge has barred Donald Sterling’s lawyers from calling opposing counsel to the witness stand in a trial over the proposed $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers.
The judge on Friday also barred testimony about Sterling’s mental competency and rejected a bid to strike the testimony and reports of two doctors who found Sterling lacked the capacity to conduct his own business affairs.
• Rockets: Center Dwight Howard said the departure of forward Chandler Parsons to the Mavericks “won’t affect us at all.” Howard said, “We have the best center and the best two guard in the game on the same team. It’s on us.” ... Guard Ish Smith agreed on a one-year contract for nearly $950,000.
• Wizards: Forward Drew Gooden, who averaged 8.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 22 games with Washington last season, re-signed.
• Cavaliers: LeBron James is asking his social media followers whether he should wear jersey No. 6 or No. 23.
• Trail Blazers: Forward Thomas Robinson, who averaged nearly 14 points and nine rebounds in the summer league, has a ligament tear in his right thumb and is likely headed for surgery next week, according to CSNNW.com.
• Pelicans: Guard Jimmer Fredette, swingman John Salmons and forward Darius Miller agreed to contracts. Fredette, a 2011 first-round draft pick from BYU, gets a one-year deal for $981,000. Salmons gets one-year for $2 million. Terms for Miller weren’t announced.
• Heat: Udonis Haslem signed a two-year, $5.6 million deal to stay with Miami, where he has played since 2003.
• Lakers: Point guard Kendall Marshall, who started 45 games last season, was waived and guard Xavier Henry agreed to a one-year deal.
• Hornets: Guard Jannero Pargo is returning to Charlotte on a one-year deal worth $1.5 million.
• Suns: Center Alec Brown, a 7-foot-1, second-round draft pick from Green Bay, dislocated his left shoulder in a summer league loss to the Mavericks.
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.