MLB reverses scoring decision in Yu Darvish’s no-hit bid
05/14/2014 10:23 PM
11/12/2014 5:21 PM
MLB has changed a controversial scoring call during Yu Darvish’s no-hit bid against the Red Sox on Friday.
Darvish had come within one out of a no-hitter before Boston slugger David Ortiz singled with two outs in the ninth. But a ruling earlier in the game has been changed and Darvish now lost it in the seventh inning, after he’d retired 20 straight.
Darvish didn’t seem to have a strong opinion on the subject when asked about it Wednesday.
“We won the game,” he said through a translator. “Whether it was a one-hitter or a two-hitter, it’s something that’s happened in the past. The only thing I care about is the win.”
The controversial call came with two outs in the seventh when Ortiz lifted a routine fly ball to right field. Second baseman Rougned Odor, playing in shallow right on a defensive shift, and right fielder Alex Rios convened on the ball and it dropped between them. Neither player touched the ball with their gloves.
It broke up a perfect game bid at the time, but the no-hitter remained intact when official scorer Steve Weller ruled an error on Rios.
Weller, a 20-year scoring veteran, looked at several replays before making his decision.
The Elias Sports Bureau and the official rule book supported Weller’s call. But MLB’s review process did not.
The league does not elaborate on scoring changes, saying only if a play had been overturned.
Weller cited Rule 10.12 (a) (1) in defending his call. The rule states:
“The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a flyball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such flyball.”
Rios agreed with the error call, taking full responsibility for not calling Odor off and making the catch. Manager Ron Washington also felt an error was the proper call and reiterated that once again.
“My thought hasn’t changed — that ball should have been caught,” Washington said. “That ball was up and around two guys and nobody caught it. One of them should have caught it. As far as them changing it? It wasn’t a no-hitter so it doesn’t really matter.”
Ortiz said after the game he would have been OK with the decision if Darvish had finished off the no-hitter. Since Darvish didn’t, Ortiz appealed the decision and MLB agreed with him.
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.