Adrian Beltre: I did not agree with DL decision

04/14/2014 4:14 PM

04/14/2014 4:15 PM

Adrian Beltre is not happy about the Texas Rangers’ decision to put him on the disabled list.

The star slugger said he intended on getting back into the lineup on Tuesday until informed that he was heading to the DL before Sunday’s game.

“I did not agree with this decision, but it was out of my hands,” said Beltre, the 35-year-old in his 17th big league season. “The medical staff and the front office thought it was best, but it was out of my hands. I had no say in that.”

Beltre left last Tuesday’s game in Boston with a strained left quad and had been out of the lineup four consecutive days before the team decided to go the DL route. It’s Beltre’s first DL stint since 2011.

Beltre has managed these types of injuries in the past and felt he could do it once again, saying he hasn’t played at 100 percent “in about 50 years.”

“That’s how I felt,” Beltre said of managing the injury. “Obviously it was a different injury than I’m accustomed to – the hamstring is what I normally deal with. I thought that I could manage it. It might be the smart idea, but I wasn’t happy with the decision.”

Rangers manager Ron Washington said it was a difficult decision and discussion to sideline the team’s cleanup hitter for more than two weeks. However, Washington felt it was in the best interest for Beltre and the team in the long run.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels echoed those sentiments.

“He probably wasn’t a realistic option until late this week or weekend,” Daniels said. “So the decision really came down to 6 or 7 games. It’s not a risk we wanted to take at this point of the season, putting him out there compromised, and with cool weather too. I hate being without him, but we didn’t want to tempt fate and risk tacking on a much longer period of time. We’re hoping the extra week of rehab pays dividends.”

Beltre won’t be able to return to the Rangers until their April 25 game at Seattle. He is expected to pull back on his rehab work for the next few days and try to get as close to 100 percent as possible.

“I was working my way back to try to play tomorrow and now I’m being pulled back until the 25th,” Beltre said. “So I’m going to pull back and make sure it gets better for me to play.”

In other injury news:

• Left-hander Joe Saunders, on the DL with a bruised left ankle, is scheduled to throw a bullpen today. If that goes well, he could throw another bullpen on Thursday. Saunders believes he’ll be ready to go by the time he’s eligible to return on Sunday.
• Jurickson Profar, on the DL with a torn teres major muscle in his right shoulder, took groundballs before batting practice on Monday and flipped them to second base. He has yet to throw or swing a bat.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service