The game is on the line, the offense plans to air it out, so it falls on the secondary to shut down the passing game.
Embracing that kind of pressure are some of the top prospects in the state. These are the cornerbacks and safeties who thrive on an island.
A few defensive backs decided to sign during the inaugural Early Signing Period Dec. 20-22. Those that didn’t will be able to sign their National Letter of Intent on Feb. 7 during National Signing Day.
The Star-Telegram concludes its week long breakdown of the top 10 DFW recruits at each position.
Here is a look at the top defensive backs
1. Cam’ron Jones, 6-0, 200, Mansfield: Offers from Nebraska, Mississippi, Baylor, Utah, Oklahoma and more. Recorded 106 tackles in 2017.
2. Atanza Vongor, 6-1, 200, South Grand Prairie: Signed with TCU. Also considered Alabama, Baylor, Clemson and Georgia.
3. Gemon Green, 6-2, 165, DeSoto: Signed with Michigan. Held 24 offers, 16 from Power Five schools.
4. Verone McKinley, 5-10, 170, Hebron: Signed with Oregon. Also considered Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Oklahoma. Recorded 55 tackles, 8 pass deflections, 5 interceptions in 2017.
5. Isaiah Humphries, 5-11, 190, Sachse: Signed with Penn State. Also considered Baylor, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Utah.
6. Jordon Austin, 6-1, 185, Lancaster: Committed to Oklahoma. Also considered Arizona and Mississippi State.
7. Dayven Coleman, 6-2, 200, West Mesquite: Offers from Arizona, Illinois, Kansas State, Utah, Syracuse and more. Recorded 71 tackles, 8 for loss in 2017.
8. German Green, 6-2, 170, DeSoto: Signed to Michigan. Also considered Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Houston.
9. Kanion Williams, 6-0, 170, Dallas South Oak Cliff: Signed with Oklahoma State. Also considered Arizona and Arizona State.
10. Jamarceon Jackson, 6-0, 190, Cedar Hill: Drawing interest from TCU, Miami and LSU.