You know you’re good when it’s banner-headline news that somebody simply gave you a good game.
Saginaw Boswell actually won the first half against defending Class 5A Division II state champ Aledo. The Pioneers were within two points of the Bearcats until pretty late in the fourth.
But Aledo quarterback Jake Bishop dashed in for a touchdown with just over a minute remaining to extend his team’s state-record district winning streak to 75 games. Phew!
The final: Aledo 35, Boswell 26.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Colleyville Heritage finally doesn’t have to share.
The Panthers couldn’t keep their hands off the ball in a 31-21 defeat of Richland. The district title is all theirs for the first time in school history. And Ke’von Ahmad had 11 catches — and three interceptions.
There was a bit of a squabble, too.
▪ Last year, Mansfield Timberview rallied to reject district rival Summit 35-28 in overtime, scoring the Wolves seats on the playoff train and throwing the Jaguars over the back of the caboose.
But this year, Summit pulled off the old switcheroo.
It wasn’t as exciting a game this time, but the Jaguars are surely excited to be heading to the playoffs — and to get a little of that sweet, delicious revenge. Summit 41, Timberview 14.
▪ Haslet Eaton has never been to the playoffs before, but that’s about to change.
The Eagles have to be pretty fired up after knocking down a solid White Settlement Brewer squad that entered the game 4-2 in district. Eaton 38, Brewer 31, and Titus Swen (124 yards, three touchdowns) is the man.
▪ The first perfect season in Keller Fossil Ridge history almost wasn’t.
Leave it to wily old rival Keller, which has seesawed against the Panthers in the Battle of the Tower for decades, to try and deny Fossil Ridge that “10.”
But Cobe Craft tossed around touchdown passes like they were candy on Halloween as his Panthers sprinted from behind, racked up a lead and then held on tight — like really tight — for a 41-40 victory.
▪ If you’re an officiating crew, your job is kind of a big deal. You’re keeping kids safe, you’re deciding whether to call back that 90-yard touchdown because of a hold. You’re like the glue of the game.
So you make sure you show up for a school’s senior night game, right?
Maybe you don’t!
In all seriousness, we hope they’re OK.
▪ Burleson pulled off a right purdy turnaround season in which it went 9-1 and tripled its win total from 2016. Burleson 30, Crowley 20.