Like we mentioned last week, it’s a busy time of the year and we’re one week closer to the UIL basketball playoffs, National Signing Day and UIL realignment.
Two weeks remain in the girls basketball regular season and many area teams have clinched playoff berths, with more to come on Friday night.
Boys basketball is a week behind the girls and those district races are also shaping into form.
Soccer starts up district play, and the baseball season is just around the corner.
Never miss a local story.
Three things I know
1. Soccer players from Joshua and Castleberry were named United Soccer Coaches/MaxPreps High School Players of the Week from Jan. 15-20. Athletes from Texas, Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi were chosen. Joshua freshman goalkeeper Mario Miranda was selected after the Owls finished second at the Stephenville tournament. In five games, Miranda recorded 22 saves and four shutouts. Castleberry senior forward Mitzy Guereca was named the girls winner. She recorded eight goals and seven assists as the Lions won the Burkburnett tourney.
2. Arlington Bowie girls basketball coach Kelly Carruthers is reaching 200 career wins. Carruthers has spent seven seasons with the Volunteers, who beat Arlington Martin 54-33 on Tuesday night. The Vols, who are 24-6, 10-0 in District 4-6A, are ranked No. 13 in Class 6A by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches. They host Arlington Sam Houston on Friday and visit North Crowley on Jan. 30.
3. Nolan Catholic girls soccer coach Jay Fitzgerald coached his 500th career game on Monday night. The Vikings shut out Parish Episcopal 4-0 to improve to 16-4-3 and 8-3 in TAPPS 1-6A. Freshman Abby Geiser scored her 26th goal of the season. Seniors Megan Bettinger (24) and Mikaela Gamboa (13) also scored. Senior goalie Avery Boley recorded her 10th shutout. Fitzgerald’s record is 334-125-41, all with the Vikings.
Three things I think
1. Colleyville Heritage receiver Kam Brown decommitted from UCLA on Tuesday. One of the top 2019 prospects in the state, Brown holds 34 scholarship offers — 29 from Power Five schools. With TCU coach Gary Patterson making his run through Fort Worth, the Horned Frogs may be the perfect landing spot for Brown, who caught 19 TDs last season. Players from Euless Trinity, Aledo and Mansfield Summit committed to TCU in the past week.
2. The UIL baseball season officially starts on Friday with the first after-school practices. Last season, Grapevine and Southlake Carroll represented area teams at the state tournament. Look for the Mustangs and Dragons to make another playoff push along with Colleyville Heritage, Arlington Martin, Aledo and Keller Fossil Ridge.
3. Girls basketball teams that will clinch playoff spots on Friday: Keller Timber Creek, Martin, Aledo, Birdville, Burleson Centennial and Mansfield Summit. Nine teams from area 6A and 5A districts have already clinched: Bowie, Saginaw Boswell, Fort Worth Trimble Tech, Fort Worth Wyatt, Colleyville Heritage, Grapevine, Crowley, Arlington Seguin and Mansfield Timberview. The bi-district round begins Feb. 12.