In what could be the first of multiple departures, a member of Baylor’s 2016 football signing class has announced plans to enroll at another school after being granted a release from his national letter of intent.
Defensive tackle D.Q. Osborne, a junior-college transfer from Kilgore College, told Scout.com that he has been granted this release by Baylor officials and plans to enroll July 6 for summer classes at Oklahoma State. The junior, who played in high school at South Grand Prairie, will be eligible to play immediately for the Cowboys. He becomes the first departee from the February class to land with another college football program.
In an interview with Scout.com, Osborne said: “I am happy to know where I am going to be playing football and going to school for the next two years.”
Osborne was not listed earlier this month in reports about seven members of the February class seeking to be released from their LOIs in the wake of the May 26 decision to suspend football coach Art Briles with intent to terminate based on the findings of the Pepper Hamilton report into allegations of sexual assaults by Baylor players and possible cover-up actions taken by football staffers in response to those allegations.
Never miss a local story.
Those reports focused primarily on seven incoming freshmen who chose not to enroll for the start of summer school classes at Baylor, which would have allowed them to join veteran players in voluntary summer workouts. Baylor administrators have indicated those players must go through an NCAA appeals process to be released from their letters of intent.
The lone exception is receiver Devin Duvernay, a four-star signee who is free to look at other schools because a clerical error in filing his paperwork that rendered his LOI invalid. Duvernay currently is exploring options with other schools.