Arlington Lamar quarterback Shane Buechele committed to Texas on Monday night, bolstering the Longhorns’ 2016 class at a position they’re still trying to develop.
The consensus four-star Buechele has been a two-year starter for the Vikings and is the son of former Rangers infielder Steve Buechele. Oklahoma, Stanford, Ole Miss and Texas Tech were among his other scholarship offers.
Never miss a local story.
Here’s what his commitment means for Texas, both within the program and on the recruiting trail:
▪ Buechele is athletic enough to be listed as a dual-threat quarterback, but his command of the pocket and arm strength have been his most impressive assets. That should benefit his development under offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, who’s still trying to find the right engineer for his pro-style attack.
▪ Tyrone Swoopes struggled in 2014, four-star Zach Gentry flipped his commitment to Michigan in January and Kyler Murray ultimately stuck with Texas A&M, despite a late push from Texas. Charlie Strong, naturally, has gone on the offensive for a quarterback (or two or three) in 2016, offering 11 senior-to-be quarterbacks so far.
In addition to Buechele, they include Baylor commit Zach Smith (Grandview), Texas Tech commit Tristen Wallace (DeSoto), LSU commit Feleipe Franks (Crawfordville, Fla.) and Oregon commit Seth Green (Saint Paul, Minn.).
▪ Buechele was the key addition, though, and an early target for Texas — the Longhorns offered him last summer. The timing of his commitment can’t hurt, either, as Texas will hold its first big junior day this weekend.
▪ Buechele was Texas’ fourth 2016 commit. 247 Sports Composite four-star receivers Collin Johnson and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps and linebacker Demarco Boyd(the younger brother of 2015 four-star signee Kris Boyd) were already on board.
▪ Locally, Buechele has been one of several Texas targets. Lil’Jordan Humphrey (Southlake Carroll/RB), Kellen Diesch (Trophy Club Nelson/OT), Brandon Bowen (Trophy Club Nelson/DE) and Michael Williams (Fort Worth All Saints/DT) also hold offers.
Ryan Osborne, 817-390-7760